sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

options?

Post by sh0rtlife »

ok im here looking for options...its an 83 gtv6 2.5 72k miles on it ..its on its 3rd igniton module and its dieing..as in random issues with early rev limiter kick in's are bad/ruff ignition timeing above 5k rpm ..previous box dies out around 2-3k rpm...i have what i belive to be an 86 module..is there a way to swap it in?.....on any other car id toss the module out the window put an msd in its place and call it a day...but after asking ive found that to not be posible?

as for the "stock" electronics components it leaves me asking 2 things..does anything besides an alfa/fiat use the same ignition box?...or are there any fixes that i can do..or am i stuck locateing a new one?

it also has me realy wondering about some kind of stand alone system..but being im only well versed in old school tech where fuel injection is not involved..i know NOTHING on the standalone settups (would love for someone to walk me thru the whole stand alone setups for alfa's)

soooo whats my options and what roads would you take from the same position?

just so that there is no confusion..when i say ignition module im talking about this under hood unit Image
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Did the designers move the ignition module into the cabin for later models?? Mine ('85) is near the fuse box. Just a thought, but maybe you could re-locate your next module indoors and it might last longer.....

Maybe I should restate that: My ignition advance module is next to the fuse box...my spark('power') module is located at the bottom of the coil(and the spark module seems fairly watertight)

If you have a hall effect sensor in the distributor, setting up a stand alone system should not bee too difficult. It is really just a bunch of sensors (TPS, Hall, Air temp, Vacuum, O2, single or multicoil, injector control, etc...) But having a crank angle or cam angle sensor makes life much easier (and these are not standard on a GTV6). The hardest part is getting the fuel curve correct. It would be nice to eliminate the air box, though....

If you have an older model, maybe you can upgrade to newer GTV6 Bosch set-up for less money...still going to have to do some wiring...
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

well i have the spark module from an 86..and its 6 wire...i still have a very hard time beliveing i cant do away with this unit with an MSD....as for the hall style dizzy...i just so happen to have one in a box along with the entire harness from an 86...since this engine is from an 86 but has all of the needed 83 stuff on it

the part # on the 86 unit is 0 227 100 111 if that helps anyone
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Looks like your almost home with the 86 parts....might be the easiest way to go. Do you want to save money or are you going for most power?

MSD:For the regular Multi Spark Discharge, just need trigger. For the unit that controls timing, you need input trigger from crank or cam and it is probably MAP based ig curves...I think you can adjust these by a laptop

Crane: requires an input trigger and does not advance or retard spark unless they have a built in knock or boost sensor or by remote pot.

However, if you can get a good Bosch Ignition unit and still want a multispark setup, I would choose Crane.

Timing signal comes from the main ECU for most vehicles, be it one or multicoil setup. But for Alfa, I do not know if the trigger comes from the Ignition Module or the Main ECU. I think the Ignition module provides ignition timing so you probably need to keep it if you just want to do a multispark deal.

I would probably take the less expensive route(Alfa /bosch parts and MSD/Crane..about 600$). If you do want timing control, the best way is a stand alone system like Haltech(or similar) which also controls injectors, fans, rev limit, etc.. With tuning..probably about 1700$ Still need a reliable timing mechanism like crank angle sensor. Maybe get one off a 164 and then balance the crank....it goes on and on.....
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Can you put a hotter coil in place of the bosch unit? I've used the msd blaster 2 coil on other engines to good effect, but I don't know which of the blaster 2 coils to get ( there are 3 for different ballast resistors).

The blaster 2 sure woke up my cuda.

Thanks for the help,
Scott