zambon
Verde
Verde

missing after driving on bumpy roads

Post by zambon »

The 3.0 milano gold has developed a frustrating tendency to miss. When the problem first started, I was blaming it on dirty mexican gas. At the time, I had run the tank really low and the car started to miss after I put in some 87 octane. I immediately went and added an equal ammount of 92 octane and hoped that that would help. Sadly, it did nothing.
Next, I siphoned the gas out of the tank, removed the fuel filter (which ended up being really dirty), and drained the tank by removing the banjo bolts for the feed and return lines.
I installed a new filter and set out once again and all seemed to be well and good. Then, I drove for 15 minutes on some really rough pavement (at low speeds). I pulled onto the highway and when I tried to accelerate, the missing returned. After that, I added a can of fuel injector cleaner to my tank to see if that would help. I used the can with only about 5-6 gal of gas to make it a fairly aggressive concentration.

I am currently back in wisconsin for the week and I have access to my parts car, a 2.5l platinum. I plan to bring parts of it back to mexico with me so that I can sort things out (I hope). I have been advised to have the fuel pressure checked, meaning that the fuel pump might be faulty. Should I bring the fuel pump from the parts car? Fuel pump combo relay?
My cap and rotor look good, I have not checked the plugs due to the fact that I didnt have a plug wrench with me. I will bring the plug sockey with me when I go back.
Could this problem be caused by my ignition wires? I have my cover off of my timing belt and I used a zip tie to hold the wires up and away from the cams. it is attached to the front of the fuel rail, I think. Could my old plug wires be shorting? Could that be the cause of my intermittent miss?
What about injectors? I have been told by a few people that if it were an injector, the problem would not likely be intermittent. Is this true?

Maybe I need to buy a new set of wires. Original type or Magnecore?
What other parts warrant investigation?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jack_Linguini
Silver
Silver

plug Wires

Post by Jack_Linguini »

Zambon,

I'd go w the OEM wires. There is some superstition or perhaps
truth that the wires have specific resistances. Also I don't know
if you can get those super long boots from Magnecore.

OT:
I took the GTV6 out on Sunday for a 2-3 hour drive. It sounds
great, gearbox is breaking in nice now. I may still need to
drop it and redo those gaskets. Also possible that the seals
we did not replace are leaking.

Hopefully I can just keep the gearbox topped up until I drop
the motor or put in a new clutch. I suspect that there are a couple
of noisy bearings in there.

drop me a line b4 u head back down to mx.

bests

JimL
j.v. Lentini
1984 ALFA GTV6 2.5
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Before I read your post, I ordered the Magnecor wires. Therefore you cant say I told you so after they dont help things, ha.
I got the 8.5mm ones. They were pricey, roughly $210 shipped. I sure hope they help the cause.
They will have the long boots, but they dont have resistors in them like the stock wires. I ordered direct from Magnecor after the guy on the phone reassured me that they are quite familiar with Jetronic systems.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Update:

The new wires didnt arrive until the day after I left for Mexico, so they didnt make the trip.
Since I arrived, I changed the spark plugs and found two that looked bad. They were covered with built up oil and carbon. I had high hopes for improved running with the new Bosch Platinums.
I took it out on the road and... no improvement.

The next thing that I did was remove the previous owner´s shoddy custom air intake. The previous owner had attached a paper cone style filter onto the stock AFM. I dont know why, it doesnt make any sense. I guess that it must have somthing to do with the fact that he is a bmw guy.

Upon seeing it, Jim dubbed it a "low performance custom warm air intake" or somthing like that. It was cute with duct tape and everything.

Anyway, I put a stock airbox from my parts car onto it. The car seems to have awakened! It feels significantly more powerful in the higher revs, and so far the missing is gone.

I guess I was way off connecting the problem to vibrations. The part that still has me confused is the fact that it ran just fine with the warm air intake when I was in Denver, and then it ran fine again when I drove it from Laredo to Torreon. For the trip it was even overloaded. Then, the first time I drove the car after the trip, the problem decided to become evident.

At the end of the day, I am just happy that the car is back. (Now I can start tending to the poorly modified suspension and worn out bushings).