Carel
Silver
Silver

Speedo Question

Post by Carel »

Please help

I have a 76 Alfetta GT, I am about to swap the GearBox with one from a 83 Guilietta. The problem I have is with the speedo drive. On the GT it is a cable drive and the Guilietta is electronic, is it possible to convert the electronic, that uses the sensor to the cable drive tipe...? Speedo is obviously cable drive...

Carel :?
mcandiago
Gold
Gold

Post by mcandiago »

Hi Carel,

I think this will a little tricky. I know of no obvious way to perform this conversion other that having to replace the mechanical speedometer with an electronic type.

Theoretically if you have a gearbox which drives a non hall efect type speedometer sensor (This means that a mechanical drive exists in the gearbox0 you should be able to adapt a mechanical speedometer cable such that it will fit into the Giulietta gearbox. This will probably require a trip to the machine shop to manufacture an adapter piece.

The cable can then be attached to your mechanically driven speedometer. HOWEVER, I can guarantte that your speedometer will be out of calibration and you will have to take it to a shop that can calibrate it for you.

If the Guilietta gearbox uses a hall effect sensor (meaning there is no mechanical drive) Then I think you will have no other choice but to go with a new electronic speedometer.
Marco
1985 Alfa 90
Carel
Silver
Silver

Post by Carel »

Thanx Marco

If I were to convert to the electronic speedo what will I need, just the speedo? or will I need a signal amplifier as well.

The only problem with my GT box is that the front oil seal is leaking, and I need to rebuild the rear calipers(easier to take the box out and do everything), The Question is which is the better box?

Thanx

Carel
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Hi Carel,

All I can do is relate my own experience with the speedo sensors.A Guilietta sensor connected to a GTV or GTV6 box causes the speedo to overread massively.We are not even talking a small margin of error here,you will think the speedo belonged in a Mclaren F1...while the rev counter has barely moved!

The GTV or GTV6 sensor undereads equally badly connected to a Guilietta box,with a Guilietta speedometer.

Your solution would entail getting your speedometer changed for an electronic one,which I might have one spare at my folks place,with a GTV sensor in the box.Problem is they are very difficult to find last time I tried.

Fernando

P.S The next Track Day at Zwartkops is scheduled for March 13 and hopefully this time it won't be raining! :(
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
mcandiago
Gold
Gold

Post by mcandiago »

Hi Carel,

You will need the speedo and a wonderful little device (SGI-5) from Dakota digital to calibrate the speedometer:

www.dakotadigital.com

The producis a universal speed convertor and will easily calibrate your electronic speedometer. It has a built in amplifier for low amplitude signals.

There is a previous post in this section that gives some instruction on how I interfaced this convertor.
Marco
1985 Alfa 90
Carel
Silver
Silver

Post by Carel »

Good day all

Thanx Marco

I will have a look at first just converting both the speedo and the sensor, if this does not work I definintly look at this SGI-5. I did see the the thread you mentioned and will revisit it for refference

Thanx Fernando

Please make a price and let me know....

Bout the track day " please don't let it rain " otherwise you can still go and play on the skidpan :P
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Carel,I have all you need for the conversion-Come and collect free of charge......Call me.

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Carel
Silver
Silver

Post by Carel »

Thanx Barry

Will do.

Carel
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Nice one Barry.Thanks for helping Carel out and may Saterday's racing at Kyalamy bring you the success you deserve.

Fernando :D
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Thanks F,Ive got that new harness for you if you need it......
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.