Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Barry, you're talking about a 1/2" thick cable there! Its so stiff at that size that you do not expect much to go wrong! (Welding more than soldering,heheh).
For the twin fans I have (of 75 TD origin) I use one 50A relay, exactly the same as the main power relay in the 75 fusebox( the one with the big wide prongs) mounted right behind the headlight, inline with the other relays there and fed by a 4,5mm* wire from the battery.
Jim K.
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

Well, I am about to upgrade the chintzy speaker wires. I think while I'm at it, I'll take care of the window motor wires. They look like 1.5sqmm. Pretty tiny CSA.

You've got to seek out that extra HP where ever you can. Even if it's in your window motors.
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

I cleaned up all my earth and positive wiring connections all over the car. I then replaced the battery wire from the alternator to the battery cable connection on the firewall (with a thicker wire) this made a huge difference to my lights , windows etc and the glowing alt light.

Tom
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

I cleaned up all my earth and positive wiring connections all over the car. I then replaced the battery wire from the alternator to the battery cable connection on the firewall (with a thicker wire) this made a huge difference to my lights , windows etc and the glowing alt light.

Tom
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Tom
pancho
Gold
Gold

Post by pancho »

geeze Tom you have now cleaned all the grounds etc three times ! Why not just do it properly the first time around !

:P
PanchoRama

From the great master Del Compo "so, wat you wan doin?"

High Five. Sexy Time. You Lose
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

sorry my pc seems to have the hiccups
alfadave
Silver
Silver

Re:

Post by alfadave »

Barry wrote:Dave,Fernando,The whole electrical system is also to blame for the window problems.All the lugs are crimped and with the age of our cars the conductivity at the terminals and lugs are a major problem.Next up is the pathetic alternator in our cars.Ive upgraded to a modern 166/156 140 amp alternator and this is probably the best thing you can do to your car.I still have over 1.6v drop measured at the battery and at the fuse box.What I have done here is use a modern 70 amp relay to supply my fuse box on start up.This has alleviated the problem somewhat,but not totally.If you can get a new harness this helps some-Fernando,I have new for you ,give me a call.Nothing is slower than a Giuliettas windows and mine are realy flying after all the work I did.
The alternator I reckon is your first step.
Alternatively,fit the winder mechanism from the Opel superboss.to uoyr car.Supply power through relays and your windows will fly up and down.The by product of all this is also to be seen at night.No more shitty headlights..

Barry
Barry, please explain. Is the Opel mechanism a fairly easy install? Do you perhaps have pics and is the wiring more or less the same? I have a snapped cable at the moment and fitting a new cable is a PITA and all I'll end up with is slow windows anyway. I'd love to have windows that don't have me sitting in the car for minutes after parking waiting for the damn things to shut.
1985 GTV6 3.0