johank
Silver
Silver

Cold Start Valve

Post by johank »

Howdy,

Glad to have found this forum - it's awesome how much info you guys put up here. Great to hear from other people who love these cars!

Anyway, my '84 GTV6 needs a new cold start injector. I just figured out that the old one's all clogged up, probably beyond repair. Does anyone know if there's a difference between a Spider's csv (Bosch part no 0 280 170 031) and the GTV6's (0 280 170 039)? They look identical on the exterior. Both are on ebay, but the Spider one is newer, so I'd rather get that.

Thanks for your help!

-Johan
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Johan,Hello and welcome.
The spider unit is going to work just as well as the gtv6 unit..It has a slight disadvantage in the capacity department,but will work just as well..
Does your car ever start by using this function?Besides some real cold climates,I have never experienced a cold start where this injector has worked or called upon to do so.
I must say I was in the town of Sandviken a few years ago..A 164 was left outside the hotel idling for close to 2 hours as the owner did not want to switch off-but thats a different story all together..
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Johan,Hello and welcome.
The spider unit is going to work just as well as the gtv6 unit..It has a slight disadvantage in the capacity department,but will work just as well..
Does your car ever start by using this function?Besides some real cold climates,I have never experienced a cold start where this injector has worked or called upon to do so.
I must say I was in the town of Sandviken a few years ago..A 164 was left outside the hotel idling for close to 2 hours as the owner did not want to switch off-but thats a different story all together..
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Bazza,
Your cold start injector is working overtime and posting in stereo... :lol:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Mike,Having such hassles with this site thats its almost become un pleasant to post here.. :(

It hangs and takes it time -I never know if anything is happening!I also cannot post multiple pics at a given time.. :!:
johank
Silver
Silver

Post by johank »

Thanks Barry - I figured it might deliver a little less fuel, seeing as how it's meant for 4 cylinders instead of 6.

I'm pretty sure that the injector's keeping my car from starting properly. I checked it a few weeks ago, and it was working o.k. The car's been sitting for a looooong time, and I forgot to drain the old fuel from the hose leading to it, so I think the old gunk clogged it up once the engine got good and hot. The car's really hard to start, so it's very possible that this isn't the only problem.

Hopefully this will fix it...
johank
Silver
Silver

Post by johank »

For anyone who is curious: found a NOS Jaguar XJ-6 cold start injector (think it is Bosch 0 280 170 028) and the car starts again. Yay! It was almost impossible to start without it when it was less than 90°F outside, so I guess mine does absolutely need one.

Then again, the engine does not run well when cold, so the injector probably wasn't the only thing that's not doing it's job. More fun projects to come... :)