Duk
Verde
Verde

Strange behaviour

Post by Duk »

OK I'm new to this forum, but I have been reading thu some amazing stuff :D . I have just aquired a '90 75 3ltr in very good condition, but she has a very strange habbit of the interior electrics chucking a hissy fit once I switch the high beems on. Stuff like all the warning lights come on, then go out but the battery warning light blinks on and off. Sometimes the interior light will come on for no apparent reason. And today my oil pressure guage and engine temp. guage dropped to zero (nice feeling that :? ) only to return to normal.
I read someware that the alternators are marginal at best, and it seems the previous owner has installed higher wattage headlight globes. Combine those with the strange Itallian car manufacture's habbit of not switching off low beem when switching on high beem, could a low system voltage be causing my new found challenge?
Voltage at the batter with high beems on is 13.69v.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Tip: change you location to something that actually gives us clue where you're from, windyplace isn't really all that informative. :P

Since I don't know what market your car is from I'm going to assume it's a non-altered electric system. That means that there is no relays for the headlights and if you are using high wattage bulbs there will be a huge load on the stalk-switches and they will fry. So check the stalk and all the electrical connectors under the dash for melted plastic, there is a white square one over the accelerator pedal on LHD cars that seem to take a lot of punishment for some reason and when it goes bad all kind of strange things happen. Complete shutdown of all exterior lights for instance, not fun when you drive at night.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Cheers for a reply.
Location is Australia (RHD) if that helps.
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

Hey Duk
Are you from the windy state Perth ?
John
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw