shures
Gold
Gold

Wiring Methodology

Post by shures »

What is the proper method to make electrical repairs? Specifically, are crimp connectors OK to use and if so is there a preferred type?

Here is why I ask. I read Carroll Smith's "Prepare to Win" in the early 80's. I have been soldering all connectors since then, using at least the correct guage wire and shrink tubing and relying heavily on closed ring connectors. I have yet to have a soldered connector fail due to stiff solder but have been advised crimping avoids the problems associated with the stiffened wire. Also, as time passes and my fleet includes newer and newer cars I must use more spade connectors and work in factory harness plugs. WeatherPak is a real good example; it is the only thing I have added to the wiring harness of the GTV-6.
Scott Shure
Ellicott City, Md
85 GTV-6
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

solder and good quality heat shrink..

there are already enough contact connectors on teh harness and no reason to add more...
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

I dissagree. There is nothing wrong at all with inline crimps, IF they are the expensive slimline type. THe standard automotive red AMP type, are utter crap!

soldering it has no place in modern looms IMO.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I've not seen any problems with soldering, except the time it takes to do it.

With crimped connectors I've seen several problems, under crimped=loose conneection and the wire falls out, and over crimped= broken wire strands or completely cut wire. crimped connectors are also subject to corrosion in the crimped joint where soldered connectors are not.

If you have the time/money and need the connections to be absolutly bullet proof for the longest period of time then use solder. Crimped connectors are good for at least 10 years, are easy and fast to use, but you need to watch how you use them.

I use crimped ones because I'm usually short of time and they work well enough.

Keep in mind I live in Fresno, California.....a relatively dry place.

HTH,
Scott
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: Wiring Methodology

Post by MD »

Can't beat a properly soldered junction for least resistance and/or votage drop.

However, be sure to use electrical circuit fine flux core solder none of that flux core crap plumbers use !!!

Finnish with heat shrink for a professional job. When it comes to switch gear, well push on terminal cannot be avoided.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse