Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

GTV6 wont start

Post by Paul Bird »

HI all, I am coming to the end of my GTV6 rebuild and the time has come to start the engine. I have spark, I have fuel, I have oil pressure and a new battery. When I turn the key the engine turns over nicely but refuses to fire. The timing is spot on.
When I take the fuel pressure mregulator hose off and swap the connectors on the pump relay then reconnect the hose she fires for a couple of seconds then dies. The fuel pump does not seem to want to stay running therefore no fuel pressure is at the engine.
Any ideas would be great.

PB UK :twisted:
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Hi Paul,

Check that the AFM isn't sticking shut as there's a micro switch inside it that allows the fuel pump to run - wedge a screwdriver down the AFM to hold it open then turn the igniotion to the normal running position. You should be able to hear the pump running.

If it does, take the screwdriver out and that should give enough fuel pressure to start for a couple of seconds. Then clean the AFM!

PS I reckon you are just up the road from me as I live near Wimborne! If no luck with getting it going drop me a PM and I can arrange to come round and have a look at the problem.
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi Steve, Yes you are up the road from me, I live in Broadstone. My GTV6 is in my garage in Winton though. Thanks formthe offer of helping me. Sorry I didnt reply sooner my old computer gave up the h
ghost last week and I have only just bought a new lap top.

I will check the air flow meter during the week and the injectors and let you know.

Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi Steve, sorry I havnt replied until now, I have been off the www for a while. I now have a new computer. Yes you live just up the road from me, I live in Broadstone. My GTV6 is at my garage in winton.

I have today checked the injectors, the air flow meter, the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump, all working as they should. There is plenty of fuel and she has coughed once or twice but still refuses to fire up!

If your offer of some help still stands please give me a ring on 07814 055232 if no answer please leave a message.

Cheers
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Post by Paul Bird »

Eurica, she's alive!

I have finaly got my gtv6 started, the problem seemed to be the relays. I took the relays from the fuse box, cleaned them up and hey presto.

GTV68
Silver
Silver

Re: GTV6 wont start

Post by GTV68 »

I have a similar problem here.....

Replaced the combination relay as it had been pointed out this was the problem, it would appear not though (spare one of these now avaliable feel free to PM me on that).

So when i took delivery the car had been wired across the cold start, leading me to think the cold start valve works.... am i right to assume this ?

Moving on when under the bonnet I removed the AFM, there was a pool of fuel in the large hose going from the AFM... the engine turns over and fires then dies, when i turn the ignition on I hear no whir from the fuel pump... I'd imagine there should be a noise ?

My main question for now is can anyone point me in the direction of the fuel pump relay, i cant seem to spot it :cry:

many thanks

Rodger
82' 26k Dry stored since 92'... Restoration under way.

http://www.alfacars.co.uk
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Roger the "fuel pump relay" is in fact part of the combination relay so if you've replaced that with a working one then that's not the problem.As was mentioned above, the fuel pump is also wired through the Air Flow Meter and this part of the circuit is closed when the "flapper" door in the AFM opens.Try manually opening the door with the ignition in the run position and check for fuel pump operation - you should hear fuel running from the regulator at the front of the fuel rail back through the return line.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
GTV68
Silver
Silver

Post by GTV68 »

Thanks guys....

It's 5 30 am sunday morning, once i've sunk another black coffee I'll be heading out to do a few more checks :)

Lots on the go with getting my garage organised too, times like these I wish I lived in the country, no neighbours and freedom to work into the wee small hours.

R :shock:
Last edited by GTV68 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

GTV68
Silver
Silver

Post by GTV68 »

Ok so I've pushed back on the flap within the AFM.... noise confirms pump would appear to be running :? ... it has to be electrical (probably an earth issue somewhere), I know this engine runs as it did 2 weeks ago when rigged on the cold start valve, I think my next move will be to make sure the CSV has a good earth, for now still getting an easy turn over and start but then instant cutout when she fires up :cry:

Anymore idea's feel free to pitch in.... thanks to PB for your call yesterday, it's always nice to have friends who have or are going through the same scenario :)

GTV68
Silver
Silver

Post by GTV68 »

As you can see from the pictures I'm begining to find a few little things that need attention...

Not sure if the lead going into the coil is such a big issue, as i said before she was running fine that way a couple of weeks back.

So it looks like something I planned further down the road will be coming along a little sooner, new HT Leads, Plugs, rotor arm, cap Ummmm not sure what else for now, any thoughts on where best to procure/purchase ?
Attachments
It became apparent after i removed the rubber sleeve :)
It became apparent after i removed the rubber sleeve :)
IMG_0003.jpg (38.56 KiB) Viewed 8475 times
Obvious missing part ?
Obvious missing part ?
IMG_0002.jpg (52.01 KiB) Viewed 8475 times
Any thoughts on the Orange wire and connector ? Should it be connected to anything ?
Any thoughts on the Orange wire and connector ? Should it be connected to anything ?
IMG_0001.jpg (48.4 KiB) Viewed 8477 times

Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Roger the coil wire is very important and could explain a large part of your starting problem.It appears that the wire's contact has seperated and remains in the top of the coil.Try to pull it out and re-attach it.The Cold Start Valve is wired to the Thermal Time Switch and is grounded through that to the thermostat housing and the engine block.If you visit Greg's site you can find a thorough explanation of where these components are and how to test them. http://www.hiperformancestore.com/Ljetronic.htm
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

With all that sitting I think the frist thing to do is check all of the various ground connections.

engine to body
plenum to valve cover
injectors to valve cover
battery to body
fuel pump to body

these to start with...there are more.

even if the connection looks solid, loosen it up and move it around, then retighten.

hth,
zig
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
GTV68
Silver
Silver

Post by GTV68 »

Guys

Thanks for the comments, back to work for today, hoping tomorrow I can work from home which will allow me some time checking grounds and in particular cleaning the AAV.

'The last and most troublesome part of the cold starting system is the Aux Air Valve. I hate the Bosch Aux Air Valve. *A faulty AAV can cause the following problems. Difficult or impossible cold starting, the starts and stalls right away syndrome, poor running during warm up, irregular idle, and last and worst horsepower loss.'

The AAV has all the right signs for being my problem area... thanks to Murray for highlighting Greg's site, as with this forum it seems full of all the detail I will need going forward, that in itself is a worry... just think... what if someone were to break the internet ? we would be back to relying on hearsay, parts would become impossible to find, we'd have to pick up the phone and 'talk' heck we may even attend local owner's club meetings... sounds like fun to me :)

More news later or tomorrow, depends how i feel once i've visited the gym later.

GTV68
Silver
Silver

Post by GTV68 »

Well i checked the AAV, I believe it may need replacing as it did not fully open when put in the freezer, this alone however should not be preventing my v6 firing into life.

Next I will be ordering all the parts I can think of to replace in connection with the whole starting proceedure, then i'll make sure i have a day set aside to methodically go through everything.

I guess it's easy to forget the fact that whilst the car has run in the past few weeks, it has been stood still for around 16 yrs.

brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

Hey, I just picked up an'86 that had been sitting in an Alfa shop (mechanic's car) for 3 years. 5k miles on a rebuilt motor. The fuel in the tank had gone bad. Had to remove the tank to clean the sludge and flush out the system. The petrol had turned to varnish from sitting. The sludge was sooo baaad in my tank that the fuel pump couldn't suck it out. Even with the lines disconnected from the pump, the fuel only dribbled out the fuel lines. I removed the sending unit from the top of the tank and that's when I saw the sludge.

Finally got her fired up after sticking a screwdriver in the AFM and spraying start-up fluid in.

Check your fuel if it's been sitting for the long period.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi