Murray
Verde
Verde

Fuel pressure regulator testing

Post by Murray »

i'm just going over my baby in anticipation of that day when spring arrives and I have a question.Testing my fuel feed system and have installed a pressure gauge in the fuel line before the fuel rail.When I energize the pump by opening the AFM door all is well -pressure rises to 36 PSI.If I pinch off the return line after the regulator pressure rises quickly above 50PSI (I chicken out at that point !).When I pressurize the system to 36PSI and turn off the pump the pressure is not maintained.It steadily drops down to 15-20PSI in about 20 seconds.Is this OK or is my regulator failing to maintain proper pressure ?Everything is tight no leaks and my injectors are brand new.(Real new ala Greg Gordon not sort of new !)

Thanks
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I don't think you have any problem. I have seen cars that hold pressure for a really long time, and others that leak down in about the time period you experienced. I can't find any Alfa Spec for fuel pressure leak down, but here is what I have found on our personal cars. It's almost always a pressure regulator not sealing perfectly, but it really doesn't matter. As long as pressure doesn't drop to Zero in a few seconds the regulator will be able to hold pressure when the car is running.

Pinching the regulator return line really just checks to make sure the pump can hold a lot of pressure, but I wouldn't do that too much.
bmacf
Gold
Gold

Post by bmacf »

Greg, you really sure? I saw that problem once and it turned I had a leaky injector. When I bought some new injectors the fuel pressure would stay up for at least an hour after I shut off the car.

Sounds like the regulator is ok, but I'd wonder where the fuel is going? Maybe the check valve in the pump is bad? Maybe a leaky injector?

Bill in MD
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

A leaking injector usually manifests itself in some other way, poor idle, fouled plug on one cylinder etc. A regulator or fuel pump can allow pressure to bleed down without any other symptoms. I suspect that's why there is no actual spec for that, if it's happening it just doesn't matter.

I am not saying it can't be a leaking injector, and if it is I will send a replacement pronto! However I doubt it is.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Bill I'm pretty sure the pressure is bleeding off through the regulator because if I shut off the pump with the return line pinched shut, the pressure drops very slowly - probably due to incomplete closure of the return line (vice grips don't make a perfect valve :D ) I'll elect to go with Greg's suggestion and live with it.I'll order a replacement regulator just in case.
1986-GTV6
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

You can buy special clamps specifically for pinching lines shut. If you have any doubts or problems let me know and new injector(s) will be on the way.
Greg Gordon www.oldebottles.com/italiancars.htm
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Thanks Greg I'm sure the injectors are fine.Car starts, idles and runs just fine.If my lap times are any longer this summer I'll blame it on you though :lol:
1986-GTV6