GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

85 Amp Alternator!

Post by GregoryV »

Hi Gang,
Was checking last night for a 90 Amp BMW alternator as a few folks have changed over to, and while looking I found these guys that have upgraded 85 Amp Alfa alternators that are a direct bolt in!

I went ahead and bought one and it is on it's way, it seems to be something they list quite often ... if not all the time.

My current ones is still good but I've been wanting a higher Amp one for a while and for $110, heck!

This is the link to there store:

http://stores.ebay.com/Eagle-Auto-Electric

and link to one for sale, they have a few...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALFA-ROM ... ht_917wt_0

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

Nice find! Let us now how it pans out.

It's not a bad price either, I would have been expecting to pay the same for a BMW item that still had to be adapted to fit. You've rekindled my plan of upgrading it now! :lol:

ROCK ON
R~R
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Bought it on the 9th and it arrived on the 11th! It looks great ... will have to wait a few weeks to install as I am off on a trip, but I can't wait to see the difference it makes! :)

GV
Attachments
P1010227.JPG
P1010227.JPG (183.77 KiB) Viewed 4634 times
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Got the alternator in this last weekend - the windows of this car have never gone up and down so fast :) and the headlights don't brighten and dim when you hit the accelerator and then let off ... it is nice not to have such slooow windows and wipers, and dim headlights. The car feels like it cranks faster as well, but that could be just my imagination.

Anyway, great service and great price, bolted right in.

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 85 Amp Alternator!

Post by Zamani »

I bought a Beck Arnley unit as it comes with a 3-year warranty. Last few rebuilt units I got (one rebuilt locally, and another from Rock Auto, the cheapest one the had) only lasted 2 years. They only have a 1 year warranty on them. So this time I just went with one with the longest warranty. Maybe the revs are killing my alts. I only rev to 7K rpm, don't know why it's failing after 2 years. It's not like I have a VTEC which goes to 9K rpm... :(
Dr. Alban
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

We'll see how long this one lasts - what does the Beck Arnley run in price? And how easy to drop in as far as voltage regulators and mounting bracket??

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

GV,

It's a straight drop in. $150 including core charge. Too good to pass up. The original alternator lasted me 10 years though. A local shop wanted $122 and it comes with a 1 year warranty. I would prefer to buy one at a higher price with a 5 year warranty.
Dr. Alban