cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Angel Eye Headlights

Post by cchan »

We drove the Alfa last week in the nightime and we forgot how poor the headlights are. This was to an BMW M3 event. I noticed that the BMW's have Angel Eye Headlights that are not only way better than my stock ones but they look great as well. I want to update this next and I was wondering if any Alfa's have done this. The website is www.umnitza.com. We have an appointment to met with the owner and installer and most likely will do this.

Thank for any input on this and I hope I am posting in the correct section. I saw some other posts on headlights here so I am assuming this is the correct section.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Re: Angel Eye Headlights

Post by MR2 Zig »

Because of the electrical system in the Alfa you may want to go another route...Greg Gordon has a whole setup with relays, wiring and bulbs.

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/headlampconv.htm

hth
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

In terms of better light output, you can get 5 inch inserts to fit, but they will be the std h1 or h4 type, not the fancy schmancy bmw type, which are a much bigger unit - all molded plastic and not really retro fittable without a whole lot of reengineering. Some other generic aftermarket or oem gear 'may' be available to fit, but you'd prob need an industry catalog, a lot of time and a well stocked and compliant warehouse to get stuff, measure it and try it out.

Some guys here fit the round parker lights (the angel bit) to Falcon headlights - is just for looks so is a bit :? if you ask me, but to each their own I suppose

I put some Narva h1's in mine - they are better than the old cloudy carellos (but so would be a half dead torch) but don't really measure up to a modern design lamp (which is dissapointing as I put cibies in my 105 (7 inch) and they were friggin awesome).
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

These are pics from ages ago when i made angel eyes with the BMW projector lense and added XENONS.
Attachments
IMG_1514.JPG
IMG_1514.JPG (105.72 KiB) Viewed 10491 times
IMG_1478.JPG
IMG_1478.JPG (120.99 KiB) Viewed 10491 times
IMG_1477.JPG
IMG_1477.JPG (110.36 KiB) Viewed 10491 times
IMG_1545.JPG
IMG_1545.JPG (87.15 KiB) Viewed 10489 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

had curved lenses made.
Attachments
IMG_2557.JPG
IMG_2557.JPG (39 KiB) Viewed 10484 times
IMG_2559.JPG
IMG_2559.JPG (91.79 KiB) Viewed 10485 times
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

hmm, so it can be done. lots of questions though :)

1) how did you attach the BMW projector unit to the cut down alfa reflector?

2) are the new lenses glued onto the alfa reflector bodies or could you use the original stainless ring?

3) Did you have to make any changes to the alfa switch relay and wiring?

4) the way the angel eyes are fixed to the bmw projector unit, is that original?

lastly are the backs easily accesible still?

sorry for all the questions, but looking at your pictures, it doesnt look like too bad of a job to build these (assuming you can source BMW lamps from the scrap yard)

great look too
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

1) cut back of alfa lense to xact size then epoxied it
2) New lenses are siliconed on as there were no steel rings on these old lamps
3) Alwasy leave switching the same BUT add relay with inline fuse. No loadind on stalks as they will melt. Stalks only activate relay with direct power from bulkhead.
4) No the angels eyes were choped out bmw lense then small holes were made in the alfa lense then epoxied.
PROBLEMS
1) Have to make tube cover to water proof.
2) WAY to much effort when you can just use the complete old BMW 5(1980's) series lense.
Even though the Bm lense is not curved if I had to recomend going Xenon use this old bm lense below and add xenon. The lenses give the correct spread of light.
To purist its not curved but atleast your Alfa headlight will give you save night driving.
Both conversions you have to trim bodywork slightly inside.
Attachments
IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1638.JPG (92.51 KiB) Viewed 10467 times
IMG_1637.JPG
IMG_1637.JPG (91.12 KiB) Viewed 10469 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Thanks for the input on the Angel Eye Headlights. Glad someone else likes the idea too. We are going to do this but are just looking at the options. I do think that the BMW lights are the way to go and we might just purchase the lights and then intall them with the relays and the fuses. If I understood your post you did not use the column stalk to turn on the headlights, parking lots, high beams but used a seperate switch. Is this correct?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

You turn everything on from the stalks as per origional. You are not pulling the power through the stalks. The stalks activate relay which then activate lights. I think it does look good and works well but I only did it on my modified car . (not worried about resale value as on my GTV3.0 which says origional hence no night driving).
Tamariini
Silver
Silver

Post by Tamariini »

kevin wrote: 2) WAY to much effort when you can just use the complete old BMW 5(1980's) series lense.
Even though the Bm lense is not curved if I had to recomend going Xenon use this old bm lense below and add xenon. The lenses give the correct spread of light.
To purist its not curved but atleast your Alfa headlight will give you save night driving.
Both conversions you have to trim bodywork slightly inside.
Do you remember which type of BMW is this headlight from? E34?
- Alfa 75 3.0 V6 Turbo +300kw -
- Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Berlina -
- Alfa GT 1.9JTDm 16v -
- Alfa GTV6 3.0 V6 24v -
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Yes E34 .
squadragrunn
Gold
Gold

Post by squadragrunn »

i also wasn't satisfied with the headlights and i put in xenon hid units, its virtually plug&play
-charles-
gtv6 3.0 24v, 164qv 24v, maserati biturbo 2.8 evo, mb 500se, zzr1100d
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

Which model of lights fits on the GTV6? I can't find any rhd lights at the moment. I am driving around with taped up 20 year old LHD lights so you can imagine how good that is.
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver