gwaylo
Silver
Silver

Hot fuses and wires for radiator fans

Post by gwaylo »

Hi Everyone,

I have a 84 GTV-6 with a 3.0 whose a/c is not hooked up. My problem is when the car heats up and the fans come on to cool it down the wires that run to the fuse and the fuse itself heats up and smells. Once the fans are off the wires and fuse cool back down. Nothing is melted yet! Everything looks fine any tests that might help figure out what it is. Connections look good, wires look good fans come on just fine. (both of them)

Car is nearing end of restoration and is almost perfect now with the exception of this problem.

Thanks for any and all help
Murray
Verde
Verde

Re: Hot fuses and wires for radiator fans

Post by Murray »

gwaylo if your fuse is the appropriate size and it is not blowing under the conditions you describe then it sounds as though you have high resistance between the fuse and fan motors which is producing the heat.If you can, take a voltmeter and measure the voltage drop between the fuse and the fans.It should be a very small value.If you see 12.5V to ground at the fuse then you should see 12.4 approx at the fans (example).If greater difference is obtained then either the fan connectors or the wire itself is corroded and should be cleaned up or replaced.Make sure the fuse has not been oversized because from what you have described your looking at potential trouble :evil:
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
gwaylo
Silver
Silver

Post by gwaylo »

Hi Murray,

Thanks for the tip. I will give that a shot and then retrace that system again to see if I can find anything funky. That fuse is a 25amp fuse which seemed big to me. I have the feeling the last owner might have upsized the fuse instead of fixing the problem and just lived with the smell. I am parking the car for the next couple days to diagnose it so I don't end up with some wiring meltdown.Waiting to get my cardisc for this car to see what is supposed to be there and what the system is supposed to look like.

Thanks for the tip.
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Gwaylo,

If its #3 fuse that's getting hot I would suspect a wrong relay is installed. Check out this old post as it took me quite a while to fix this problem with both my GTV6's. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1703&p=16050#p16050
Fuses should not get hot at all if the designed load only is being used.

David
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red