cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Electrical clock, stop lights, interior lights, wipers

Post by cchan »

Ok, WTF, my Alfa is driving me crazy.

Phil fixed my stop lights, interior lights, and wipers. He said don't worry about the clock since it makes alot of noise and just drains the battery. These items were all working when he gave me the Alfa last time. We checked it together.

So during the summer, the stop lights, interior lights, and wipers fail to work. Checked all the fuses, etc and everything is ok. Today, the clock starts working by it self but the stop lights, interior lights, and wipers still fail to work.

Phil is going to address this again for me but why does this happen? It not like were abusing the alfa nor are we replacing items with used parts. Any suggestions to this frustrating problem. I am begining to wonder if you can even have everything working at the same time on my Alfa. :cry:
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Electrical clock, stop lights, interior lights, wipers

Post by Zamani »

Did you check the connectors? Old Italian cars have VERY BAD connectors, really easily oxidized, and are sometimes just loose and won't connect properly.
Dr. Alban
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

What connectors should I check and where are they located? I have the service manual for Milano/ GTV6. However, it appear that the electrial diagrams are only for the Milano and does not refer to the GTV6 intruments and switches. I have studied this inside and out. Am I missing something? I have Phil who is great in assisting me. However, this is suppose to be my hobby and I am trying to learn about my GTV6 so I can take care of the easy issues.

Thanks Zamani for your help.
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

I seem to be the only one browsing right now so I had better post!

CChan how is your GTV6 these days? I followed the build and just came across this post.

The rear lights are the biggest pain. As has been mentioned, connectors suck.

Remove and refit the rear light circuit board connectors a few times them use some dielectric grease (contact improver). Same for the lampholders and lamps (bulbs).

I have new circuit boards for the rear lights (shameless plug). Improved design, double-sided. Apparently so fearsomely expensive no one even views them on eBay. Doesn't cost anything to look though......

On again off again clock isn't usually a problem but if there are random failures in the dash area I would suspect a poor ground (earth). Particularly if a respray meant undoing electrical connections.
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
85 GTV6 'Gina G3' Sold but missed.
www.motozane.com