Re: Milano Verde Has No Spark

Post by xrad »

Merril: did you figure it out????
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

Here I am again. It's been a while, sorry for not posting some status sooner.

So I followed everyone's advice, swapped out everything but the wireing harness and distributer. Finally got tired of dealing with it so sent it off to Group 2 in Seattle. I figured there at least they'll have identical Milano Verdes to compare against.
Well, they've had it for a while now and haven't had any more luck than I. Darn, I was hoping they'd come across something i'd missed.

I just suggested to them about the possibility of a new engine/ignition harness. I figure an intermettant/broken wire that still can make contact at times, or corrosion somewhere could be eliminated with a new harness. I also like the idea of a new harness with fresh plastic connectors and wiring insulation to go for the next 20 years.

Is anyone aware of the availability of such ? Joe at Group 2 is going to contact Alfa Of Tacoma to see. I may check with some other sources myself (IAP, Centerline, etc).

Anyway, what a tough problem ! I'm missing the car. Currently driving an underpowerd Ford pickup. What a drag (and a waste of gas).

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions,
Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Merril

If your car has one of these, fit a new one.
Attachments
Multipin dual relay 1.jpg
Multipin dual relay 1.jpg (135.31 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Post by Bruce »

ECU earth points attached on the aux air valve (mounted on cam cover)...
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

The first thing Group 2 did was swap out the dual looking relay on the firewall. No luck. I'll ask them about the one you've shown MD.
Grounds have also been gone through so I think we're good there.
Thanks for the inputs guys.
I left a message with Group 2 so will hear from them this afternoon but I think they would have called earlier if they had fixed it.

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

It's fixed !

One of the major problems turned out to be the Ignition Advance Control Unit.
I didn't have a replacement for that unit. Turned out to be full of water!
The root cause was a leaking windshield seal. I think the windshields are simply glued on. No gasket.
I knew I had a leak somewhere but didn't make the mental connection to the problem.

But that didn't quite fix it. The car would start but when the throttle was opened the car would die.
After many troubleshooting attemts, Ben at Group 2 found some of the ground wires were disconnected from the engine
and wraped against the cable harness. I was familiar with the GTV6 ground wires but not the Milanos. None of us saw that one so someone had hidden it pretty well.
Not sure why someone would do that considering the sensitivity of grounds for Alfas.
Once Ben found that and re-attached the ground wires correctly, the car ran fine.

Nice to have the car back. My GTV6 had a busted reverse gear and when the tranny locked up I decided two Alfas laid up wasn't a good thing. The gear problem turned out to be a much easier fix !
I'm a happy guy now :D

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0