stonne
Silver
Silver

Newly Acquired 1987 GTV6

Post by stonne »

Hello, hope someone is able to help. Just towed (note the use of the word "towed") home my sons newly purchased GTV6 1987, done 191,000km, some rust, but with some chemo, should be brought under control. We tried starting it, but no go, no fuel at the injectors, new fuel in the tank, no sound coming from fuel pump. Are the fuel pumps on these throw away or can they be taken apart. Are the pumps subject to there own relay and/or fuse? any help would be apprecaited.

thanks Peter
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Re: Newly Acquired 1987 GTV6

Post by MR2 Zig »

Welcome.

First there is a way to check the fuel pump, open up the airbox and with the key on push the flapper door in the air flow sensor (aluminum box with an arc to it just downstream of the air box) open with a screw driver. you should hear the pump run. If not put a test light on the leads to the pump and try again with the screwdriver in the intake before you spend the money on another pump.

the pump and fuel filter are located just infront of the right rear tire. Check that the filter isn't clogged. These pumps don't run dry...if you run it dry you will ruin it. the impellers do get stuck though. They can be partiall dissassembled... enough to turn the impeller.

there is an inertia (roll over) switch and a double relay that could also be causing problems.

Big thing on these cars are the grounds, there are a bunch of them. All the grounds need to be clean and tight.

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/Ljetronic.htm
The above article will be of much help on this. Take the time to do this and you may find your problem along the way.

I hope that helps.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
stonne
Silver
Silver

Re: Newly Acquired 1987 GTV6

Post by stonne »

Excellent, thanks for that. We will try those issues and then progress our way through the L-Jetronic tech issues. thanks