krash2
Silver
Silver

GTV-6 alternator pulley spec

Post by krash2 »

Can anyone provide a spec for mounting the pulley on the alternator shaft, i.e., what is the distance between the outside face of the alternator's lower mounting lug and the outside edge of the pulley? Or should the measurement be taken between the outside face of the alternator's lower mounting lug and the center line of the pulley? I measured the previous stock alternator and pulley setup and got ~1.25 inches outside face to outside edge, but when I install the new alternator with pulley set to 1.25" I get bearing noise (which noise eventually stops when the car is fully warmed up). The sound is definitely coming from inside the new alternator, which has been independently checked out and is sound. I've remounted the pulley twice and it's better than it was, but it's still not quite right. Either my measuring is faulty (family motto: "Measure Once, Cut Twice") or, correct measurement notwithstanding, I've got the pulley mounted a little hinky.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Charlie Koster
San Gabriel, CA
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: GTV-6 alternator pulley spec

Post by kevin »

Not sure if I fully understand what your saying but the pulley should be in a perfect line with water pump and crank pulley ,other you can damage bearings and belt will come off easier. Only way is to Use a straight edge accross face to check alignment.