stonne
Silver
Silver

Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter

Post by stonne »

Hi, 1987 GTV6 2.5. Just purchased, wont start, taken off fuel pump, not going, dismanted fuel pump, clean, reassemble, test, now going but not 100% of the time. Reinstall, fuel pump not satisfactory. Remove fuel tank, tank has large amount of sludge, clean and reinstall, remove fuel return line, line completely blocked, clean and reinstall. Clean and reinstall main fuel line. Need to purchase a new fuel pmump and filter.

Were do we purchase a new fuel pump and fuel filter from? Local Alfa agent claims they are no longer available. If we are to use an after market pump and filter, does anyone have the specification for the fuel pump capacity and pressure? Also a loose idea on an alternative fuel filter option.

Re the Air Filter, does any one have a model from K&N that will fit.

Finally Alfa agent claims the oil filter no longer available, not convinced on that. Any suggestions??

thanks in advance

Peter
Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter

Post by Mats »

Anyone that sell Bosch fuel pumps can recommend a replacement pump that works, same with filters, there are many suppliers that has a fitting filter.

Where are you located?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

Peter, you will want to clean your injectors as well...(all 7)
stonne
Silver
Silver

Post by stonne »

OK, thanks for that. We are in New Zealand, so I will check with the local Bosch Agent. We have not tackeled cleaning injectors before. Is this a job for a workshop that has a better set up thatn us? Or will soaking in an approperiate solution work? Not convinced that will be enough.

Also just notice the comment on the number of injectors...7 ?? what does the 7th do?

thanks

Peter
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The 7th injector is the cold start injector. Cleaning the injectors requires an ultrasonic cleaning tub, and a way to pulse the injectors while they are in there. They will need to be pulsed over 10,000 times so some sort of automatic machine should do it. The most common type is an "ASNU" machine (which costs about $8500). It's best to remove the filters and pintle caps before you clean them, and then replace them with new parts. Once cleaning is done it's a good idea to flow check them at various RPM levels and loads (throttle positions) to make sure everything is up to spec. The ASNU or other similar machines can perform these checks.

I am pretty sure if you search for "fuel injector service" or "ASNU" in New Zealand you will find someone who can do this for you. I am set up to do it here, but Oklahoma is a long distance from you.

Greg Gordon,
http://www.hiperformancestore.com
http://www.okinjectors.com
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

I think you can probably do some of it, at least you can check the little screen filter and replace the hoses yourself...

You can check for cracked pintles.

Running a few bottles of injector cleaner through the tank helps when you get it going.

As for pintle cleaning and spray matching, that is probably best done in a shop..

I usually use Python rebuilt injectors. 52$ each without core.
800-611-6730 for retailer.

Greg's prices are good too.
stonne
Silver
Silver

Post by stonne »

Excellent help, thank you.

We will post a full list later, but here are the parts numbers for a range of filters et al.

Fuel Pump Bosch, new bosch number is 0580 464 070 (it is in stock in NZ, so should be availably in most places)

K&N air filter (reuseable) 33-2545
Wix oil filter 51521
Baldwin oil filter B163

Wix fuel filter 33161

The only number we are missing is the bosch fuel filter number (anyone know that?).

thanks

Peter
stonne
Silver
Silver

Post by stonne »

Finally, the Bosch Fuel filter numbers are GH030 and an alternative number is 69F5030.

We have paid the following:

Fuel pump, $260
Fuel Filter, $15
Oil filter, $25
K&N reusable air filter $252 (ouch!!)

All NZ Dollars
stonne
Silver
Silver

Post by stonne »

Fianlly, Bosch part numbers for various bits of the L-Jetronic system, not sure if this helps anyone.
L-Jetronic Fuel Injection part numbers.jpg
L-Jetronic Fuel Injection part numbers.jpg (29.15 KiB) Viewed 8535 times
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Have a Bosch Fuel Filter in my hand...

Bosch 0 450 905 030

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

GregoryV wrote:Have a Bosch Fuel Filter in my hand...

Bosch 0 450 905 030

GV
That sounds more like a Bosch part number to me (then the other listed above).

I used K&N filters before but went back to paper, way easier to switch out a paper filter then washing and oiling a cotton filter (and hence done more often). Paper filters are really cheap too.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I put up a video showing some Alfa fuel injectors before and after servicing. It's not unusual for the injectors to be a problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1DtmmsxeZg

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.okinjectors.com
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Now THAT wasn't a pretty sight - I am more than relieved to have those new injectors. I take it that the #2 injector is what could wash a cylinder down or maybe just go lean as hell I guess... GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

A low injector will cause the respective cylinders to run lean, and in normal driving it causes the other cylinders to run rich because the O2 sensor reads the average mixture of all the cylinders and makes adjustments accordingly.

The dripping injector causes a rough idle, rough cold running and starting difficulties. There are actually two dripping injectors in that video, #2 and #3.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.okinjectors.com
Membse
Silver
Silver

Post by Membse »

Your fuel filter is one of those engine components that may only cost $10 or $20, but can protect your engine from thousands of dollars in damage if you change it regularly. Fuel filters protect some of the very delicate parts of your engine. Carburetors and fuel injection systems can be clogged up by the tiniest of particles, so a properly functioning fuel filter is very important. If your fuel filter starts to get clogged up, the fuel trying to flow through the filter to your engine gets stuck in line like soccer moms at a 5 am Thanksgiving Day sale.Furnace Replacement