gran turismo
Silver
Silver

distributor guts??

Post by gran turismo »

I took apart my 85 gtv6 distributor a couple of days ago in order to lock the centrifugal advance, and remove the vacuum advance and the hall sensor pickup. I am converting to a crank sensor and megasquirt so I don't need the hall sensor in the distributor any more.

What I discovered is that this distributor doesn't have a centrifugal advance mechanism but it appears to have some left over parts for it from the factory including a funny spring that doesn't seem to do anything. The distributor shaft doesn't rotate relative to the plate at the bottom so the spring doesn't stretch or compress. Does anyone know what this spring is for? Maybe my distributor is seized up or something?

(Sorry about the crappy cell-phone picture)
Attachments
IMG01997.jpg
IMG01997.jpg (205.47 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Re: distributor guts??

Post by fedezyl »

I think advance is controlled by the L-Jet ecu right? I know it has an ignition module somwhere...
gran turismo
Silver
Silver

Re: distributor guts??

Post by gran turismo »

So my distributor has no centrifugal advance mechanism, just vacuum advance. Engine speed based advance must be controlled by the ignition ECU......

Anyway, I removed the vacuum advance module and installed a cover plate over the hole. I reinstalled the hall sensor and trigger wheel and put a screw through the hall sensor pickup plate so that it no longer rotates about the distributor shaft. This way if I have any problems with the crank trigger I can revert back to the distributor's hall sensor.
Attachments
crank sensor
crank sensor
IMG01998d.jpg (217.79 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
distributor minus vacuum module
distributor minus vacuum module
IMG02002b.jpg (251.96 KiB) Viewed 2769 times