Nikola
Silver
Silver

GTV 6 2.5 V6 running problems

Post by Nikola »

I had a plenty problems with my GTV 6.Gone so far that on the end I change ECU and got my car working normally.All sensors and vaacums were checked by Greg Gordons manual for L-Jetronic and everything was fine for some short period when another problem appeared.

After the rainy night I got up in the morning and sat in my GTV and turn the ignition and next thing happened.She started to idle un evenly working on 4,5 cilinders,than 5,6 cilinders and when I started to drive she start to spit black smoke from exhaust and not working on all 6 cilinders,and no power.Like she is gulping a noodle.I came back to a parking lot and started quick check.Start changing one by one.Another AFM nothing,pull out a cold start injector,not leaking,changing rotor and cap,measuring fuel pressure which was fine.All that couldn't help,and everything stayed as it was like I didn't touch anything at all.

Next day I was driving it to my frend mechanic and while I was driving it and while she got warmer and warmer she allowed me to drive her from 3000 rpm's on beggining to 5000 rpm's when she did get warm.The feeling is like you hit a rev limiter.With other words as she is getting more warmer she allows you more rpm's.

After a week or so she stayed in garage of my frend mechanic I decided to start her and she did start at a glance of a key.As she was working I would be pressing a gas pedal few times to see how she works and she did well until she reached 80 deegre of celzius and than problem.As you press the gas pedal feeling is like you pressing it into nothing because there is suddenly no reaction but if you keep presing the gas pedal than she starts to gulp a noodle and starts not to work on all 6 cilinders,no more normal idle running.She drops to 500 rpm's and when I start pressing pedal again she is gulping noodle again and when I remove my foot from a pedal she dies slowly to a stall.I didn't try to start the engine again because I was so sad and dissapointed so I just locked her up and sad goodbye.

Anybody had a scenario like this???
xrad
Verde
Verde

Re: GTV 6 2.5 V6 running problems

Post by xrad »

Ahhhh...the best and worst reasons to own this car:
BEST: it's and Alfa
and
WORST: it's an Alfa

OK start with basics:

Assuming timing belt OK

1) check compression each cylinder
2) check spark each plug
3) check fuel pressure at 7th injector (cold start)
4) check hoses for leaks and spark timing
5) check all engine bay grounds and clean

OK basic check done, if all OK, then its fuel delivery issue which could be ECU or short

Big black smoke is too much fuel, so

1) unhook cold start injector after starting and see if runs better, unhook cold start timer at thermostat
2) look for worn wiring on injector harness
3) check AFM harness (especially at connection with AFM)
4) swap ecu if nothing above
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

check for dirty fuel tank and clogged fuel filter, it sounds like for a while it might be getting good fuel pressure, then clogging up and that's why you can't get it any further than 5000 rpm's...
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

hopefully not the dreaded gas tank rust particles.....

runs fine until you take a turn or accelerate..
Nikola
Silver
Silver

Post by Nikola »

My opinion is that she is not temperature sensitive but weather sensitive meaning humidity on or after the rainy day or no humidity on sunny day.I'm betting on a spark plug cables but I will check the cables this week once my mechanic finds a little time for my cursed GTV 6.
Only thing which is much confusing is that from a beggining of my story that before she was working better after engine gets warm and now she is working worse after engine gets warm in a manner that she was not working on all six cilinders on beggining of my story and now.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Try putting old ecu back. I had same problem after rainy night and water went into ecu down harness. Take ecu out unscrew it and check board for corrosion. I nearly stripped engine before I found this problem.
Nikola
Silver
Silver

Post by Nikola »

kevin wrote:Try putting old ecu back. I had same problem after rainy night and water went into ecu down harness. Take ecu out unscrew it and check board for corrosion. I nearly stripped engine before I found this problem.

Could be,could be......
Possibilty exist.Thanks.
Nikola
Silver
Silver

Post by Nikola »

Today is a nice sunny day and she worked fine.I think there is some loose contacts or humidity in some electric circuits.I think there is going to be a long search for this Gremlin.Arghhhhh.I will keep you guys posted.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Take ecu out drill two holes in the steel casing thus allowing water to escape when it does run down the harness. Atleast it won't fill up liken my car. Then seal harness.
Nikola
Silver
Silver

Post by Nikola »

Today I started her again.But today in the morning was a heavy rain and after the rain stopped I started her and let her to get warmed.No problems at all.Unbelievable :shock: :shock: :shock: .
I hope this saturday my mechanic and me are going to spare few hours time for her and to check few items.Hopefully.
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

This may sound harsh, but it will work. If you think it's a water related issue, start the car and get it warmed up, then using a watering can, wet various components when the engine is running....if you suspect ECU wiring, soak it.
You've got nothing to lose, if it is a water issue, water has already affected it.
You won't harm the engine or components, my 90 started right up after a thorough soaking in degreaser and lots of garden hose torture.

Regards, Andrew.
Nikola
Silver
Silver

Post by Nikola »

Typhoon90 wrote:This may sound harsh, but it will work. If you think it's a water related issue, start the car and get it warmed up, then using a watering can, wet various components when the engine is running....if you suspect ECU wiring, soak it.
You've got nothing to lose, if it is a water issue, water has already affected it.
You won't harm the engine or components, my 90 started right up after a thorough soaking in degreaser and lots of garden hose torture.

Regards, Andrew.

Good idea :idea: .
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Help required, my GTV 6 2.5 standard has lost power. Three weeks ago I replaced HT Leads,Dizzy cap and rotor, spark plugs, and fuel filter. Basically the whole high tension side to cure a slight misfire at constant revs at highway speeds. After it was still there but only just noticeable. Car was pulling really well all the way to max revs.
last weekend i replaced cambelt as it was due, all timing marks are correct and in same place as before, I reset exhaust valves but by so little its almost not worth mentioning.
Now car pulls relatively well from idle to 3500 revs then will go to 5000 but with almost zero torque and has a misfire but i think that was the original misfire only now it seams a little worse. It really battles, I re checked cam belt tension and all seems well.
so what now, anybody with any ideas.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

What plugs are you using?
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »