Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Fuel pump and filter.

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Has anybody swopped the fuel filter and pump around so that it pumps towards the front, and not towards the back of the car. Thus eliminating bending the pipes through 180 deg to reach the pump and when leaving the filter.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Fuel pump and filter.

Post by kevin »

Mark there is no problem doing that . The standard filter is a push through filter and the pump must be lower than the tank as it's a gravity fed pump.
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Hi Kevin
Thanks for the info. One other question my gtv6 smells of petrol have replaced all pipes to and from the tank but itstill has a strong petrol smell. Icant see or feel any petrol aroing the injectors. Any oner places to look.
Regards Mark
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

The next place to look is in the boot at the top of the tank, find the fill pipe and follow it to the gascap . About mid way along you will find a rubber coupling, check that it hasn't gone bad.

Also at the top of the tank is a vent line that probably hasn't been replaced since the car was new. That is 8-10mm hose.

I hope that helps.

Welcome aboard!
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

You will definitely spot the leak at that coupling near cap when filling up as it's drips. Seen it twice before. Just pull carpet back. Don't have to full tank right up just put a few litres in to spot it.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

There might be a charcoalcannister on the car to catch the fumes coming from the fueltank. This is usually then fed to the intakeside of the engine so that the fumes are burned. The cannister is connected with a plastic hose coming from the top of the tank. Or else there might be a problem with the venting system.

If your car was a 4 cilinder i would suggest looking at the tank itself since that they tend to rust at the top, where the two halfs are welded/soldered together. the inboard v6 tank has a lot less problems with rust fortunately. :)
Drive it like you stole it...
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Thanks guys, you have given me some homework. Will check this out in the next few days.
:D :D
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Hi Guys, found were the fuel smell was coming from, a few weeks ago I replaced the pipe form the tank to the fuel pump. I never found any fuel leaking from the pipe so I accepted that it was Ok. Now I suspect that the spares shop sold me a silicone based pipe. When you hold the pipe for a few seconds then smell you hand, you can smell the fuel. Lesson learnt don't take the spares shop word as gospel, rather make sure yourself. :wall:
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Finally remembered to reply changed the location of fuel pump and filter a few months ago. Now up to date I have had no problems De-Deon comes close about 10mm from filter. At least there are no tight turns in pipe work to restrict fuel flow. No drilling new holes just swopped mounting brackets around and used excisting bolt holes.
Attachments
Fuel pump 2.jpg
Fuel pump 2.jpg (194.35 KiB) Viewed 8830 times
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Another view.
Attachments
Fuel pump 3.jpg
Fuel pump 3.jpg (80.6 KiB) Viewed 8830 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Mark, you are absolutely right about silicone. It can never be used for fuel. Silicone hose makes excellent vacuum hose, windshield washer hose, and in certain cases, unbeatable coolant hose, but never fuel line.

On that subject, the amber line attached to your fuel pump isn't automotive fuel line either. That should really be changed. Any single layer hose is risky in that area.

Greg,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.okinjectors.com
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Totally agree with you Greg . Also mark if you decide to travel through the Karoo that pipe wiill totally collapse from the heat off the Tarmac there . It happened to my mate.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Agree wrong choice of fuel line.
Kevin, if you want to prevent a tube from collapsing, it is a good idea to slip the tubing into a long coil of wire that is a close fit on the tube. The wire acts like a brace and the tube cannot collapse.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Hi Guys, i agree with you the reason that pipe is there, I could not find any 12mm fuel pipe any where. The pipe actually comes off a fuel syphon pump, it was the only pipe I could find. It's amazing how a temporary mod seems to find a more permeant place as the memory fades. I will renew my efforts to find a suitable replacement. once again many thanks for the help.

P.S Hey Greg can you send me the inner and out diameter of the rubber dougnut you use on the idle valve( double nut) to plenum.
Boy, it really works a little tune up the correct way.