SimonB
Gold
Gold

HT Leads

Post by SimonB »

This may sound like a silly question and I think I know the answer but do the HT leads from a 75 2.5V6 fit the GTV6 2.5? I am pretty sure they do but want to make sure before I pay my £50,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390464898654? ... EBIDX%3AIT
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: HT Leads

Post by kevin »

Yes they do . Those leads are great price . About a third cheaper than highwood .
See engine bay pic of 75 and GTV . The distributor to coil is slightly further on 75 . If you going to get leads you might as well change distrib cap and rotor as that made big difference in my GTV ( all the pick up points had corroded ) . Costs keep climbing :) but you will get it back on fuel consumption .
Let us know how it goes .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (203.14 KiB) Viewed 6438 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (185.91 KiB) Viewed 6439 times
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

I have already ordered the cap and rotor arm. What happened was that my car stopped dead on the A14 (a bit like the A3!) last Sunday. I got it towed home and got a mechanic to look at it. It started but ran roughly so he took the distributor cap off and filed off the corrosion and now it runs a lot better but he suggested changing cap, arm and HT leads as they are all at least 15 years old!

05 Corolla daily driver
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Simon , while your mechanic is working on it , get him to remove earth strap from engine to body ( at the body ) and clean all the corrosion off .
Do the same in the boot on earth strap but he must wire brush the rust from thread of bolt from underside the car as you will find it might snap when loosening . Put wd40 on it to help . Again you will find huge oxidation on strap contact . If it snaps drill a new hole and put a locking nut on back of it .
On on bulkhead loosen of the terminals and clean up faces but be careful not to break the stud out its plastic housing . I have seen cars stop from bad connections here .
Finally the wires to coil might need to be nipped up to ensure good contact . All this with your new leads give you the extra power you have been missing and confidence in your car again . I could not believe how bad my car was and this was a car that has been garaged in a dry climate for 25 years .
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Simon,

If may suggest something. The car is getting really old and so has the wiring and EFI components. The weather in the UK will cause a lot of oxidation. My suggestion would be to upgrade you refi and discard the distributor. Go for direct fire coil on plug. Less moving parts, new wiring. These cars are plagued by problems involving bad grounds and oxidation of contacts.

I pulled out the harness of a 164 Super, the wiring is brittle. And that car is about 10 years younger than most GTV6s. Most of the contacts of my 1987 75 have lots of green oxide on it. Beninca in Melbourne redid the EFI wiring harness on it. Very reliable.

I'm not sure what Alfa did, but their wiring, relay and contact suppliers were definitely not as good as BMWs. And both of these just cannot compare to the Japanese counterparts.

It might be a bit pricey, but if you look into Megasquirt, all the info for the Alfa V6 are there and you can make your harness in your spare time. Then just spend 1-2 weekends installing it. Et voila a more reliable car and some free horses too!
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

I will think about this but the car has been 100% reliable up until now and runs really well so I will update the bits that wear out and then see how it goes.
Megasquirt or similar is probably the way to go eventually I guess.

05 Corolla daily driver
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

Thanks for the advice Kevin too. I will sort the earths out at the same time as I change the ignition parts.

05 Corolla daily driver