darryl longley
Gold
Gold

wont start

Post by darryl longley »

my gtv6 wont start
ive been running my gtv6 reasonably regularly since the new year
its always been a poor starter but after a few turns would finally start and run sweetly
About a week ago I half filled the tank with fuel after pulling in off the motorway
when I went to start the car after running it quite low before the refill it wouldn't start straight away and when it did start it seemed to misfire to begin with but then after about five minuites it was fine
my first thought was it may have run so low on fuel before the refill that it may have actually run out without me realising and the misfire was caused by fuel starvation
I drove the car about 15 miles and it was fine but as I pulled into my drive at home it cut out
The morning after it wouldn't start at all and after trying to bump the car down a steep half mile hill it still wouldn't play and actually misfired
I checked the spark which seemed week and the fuel delivery from the pump was fine

any ideas
is it maybe the coil which is on its way out and the low fuel was just a coincidence or is it something more serious has the cam belt skipped one tooth and if it has would it cause a misfire

the thing is its never been a great starter since I put it back on the road
75evo
Verde
Verde

Re: wont start

Post by 75evo »

Check:

1-distributor cap & rotor for corrosion
2-connectors on ignition module under the coil
3-swap the coil

Clean all grounds an treat them with DeOxit equivalent in your country. Maplins should have some good contact cleaner AND contact conditioner.

Also, I've had L-JET box fail on me 15 years ago. The mechanical will out last the electrical on these cars. You will have a lot of problems with corroded grounds and connectors. Probably a good idea to start cleaning all grounds while you are tending to this problem.
darryl longley
Gold
Gold

Post by darryl longley »

just been out to the car this evening and first thing I checked was the distributor
interesting thing I found
The distributor was nice and dry but the small white plastic cover which goes under the rotor arm seemed loose and there was a white dusty film inside the cap and wear on the cover centre as though the rotor arm was catching
Ive removed the small white cover and thoroughly cleaned the terminals and rotor arm
I have unfortunately flattened the battery so put it on charge and will try and restart the car tomorrow
Thanks though ylvis I will still take on board all your advice and check all the connectors
and I have a spare coil so will check this also
thank you very much for your help
darryl longley
Gold
Gold

Post by darryl longley »

Shes alive shes alive
Whilst checking the spark plus which were wet with fuel but now firing strongly and checking the distributor I happened to notice the plenum wasn't quite as far on the intakes for cylinders 5&6as it was for the others which I presume may have blown off during the misfire I had when running low on fuel (or running out completely, to busy enjoying myself)
Anyway unfastened all the clips used a rubber persuader to relocate the plenum re-tightened everything and first flick of the key started and ran like a swish watch :D :D :D
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I recently had a problem that sounded like yours, where the car didn;t want to start and had a miss. I had to have it running well for our state smog test and the way it was running it was not going to pass.

I put the timing light on all of the cylinders in sequence and each was fine but the last one. I showed 5 weak flashes and one strong one.....a new cap and rotor fixed that.

I also swapped the coil and module for another I had. Then I found the ballast resistor. I wasn't sure if the GTV6 had a ballast resistor or not, I wasn't able to see it in the usual wiring diagrams. But anyway, I cleaned the contacts and reassembled, and the miss was gone! That resistor definitely had bad contacts. The car acted like I put one of those 50,000 volt Accel coils in there. Starts "right now" now, acceleration is much better too. Gas mileage is sucking wind because my grin is so big and my foot is so planted on the gas pedal!

zig
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
darryl longley
Gold
Gold

Post by darryl longley »

When I put the 3.0l engine my previous car I had a problem with the ballast resistor
The car would start and run but only when the starter was helping the enine along
In other words the car was firing and running but as soon as you stopped the cranking by the starter it would run for inly a split second
Turned out to be the ballast resistor wasn't connected properly
sorted the wires to the right terminals and it started