mtr005
Silver
Silver

help to identify wires

Post by mtr005 »

Hi everyone,
It doesn't seem like this area has been active for a while but thought I would try my luck.
I was attempting to install an ignition switch relay today, however when I pulled the covers back I found a few things from the PO which I would like to get to the bottom of before I do anything else. (I'd like to add that the car is running and everything seems to be working, so there is no fault that I know of so far.)
Any size file I try to post says that it is too large, so I will have to try and explain it sorry.
There is a wire that has been piggy backed off of the white and black wire from the windscreen wiper stalk and has been attached to a red with black stripe wire on the right hand side of the steering wheel which disappears into the factory loom. I thought that I found it going to the wiper relay under the dash, however the red and black wire going to that has no continuity with this one. The original white and black wire does however have continuity to the wiper relay as it should.
I can not work out from the (questionable) diagrams that I have, what this red and black wire is supposed to be for, or why they would have done this?
Any help would be much appreciated.

On a side note, I found another pink wire floating in the same area that is energised by the ignition being turned on. If anyone has a clue about that, it would be very helpful also.

Kind regards

Tim

1983 Australian GTV6
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: help to identify wires

Post by MD »

Hi Tim,
If all is working it may be safer to leave well alone as is where is.
If you want to install an ignition relay, it may be wiser to use the solenoid connection from the ignition switch and connect that to trip a relay. This relay should then deliver power to the solenoid where your trigger wire was before. Install an in line fuse between your power source and the relay for safety.

Let's know how you went.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
mtr005
Silver
Silver

Post by mtr005 »

Hi MD,
Thank you for your response. I agree that I should probably leave everything as it is, as the PO must have done this for a reason, but not knowing why is killing me haha.
These wires were an incidental finding, I was planning on using the brown ignition wire as the signal wire to the relay and then have the output go to where the brown wire is currently entering the fuse box.

Since looking a little more closely at the electricals I have also found a terminal at the combination relay that requires replacing which I am waiting on an online order as there were none available anywhere close by.

It looks like it will be an alfa electrical holiday season this year haha.

I will let you know how it all goes, and please let me know if you believe that my method for this relay is not preferable

cheers
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Tim,
Maybe I should rephrase what I have said before.
I REPEAT. If it isn't broken,don't fix it. The arrangement could already be a fix it for the original problem.
DO this:-
1 take small wire off solenoid.
2 fit this wire to the trigger side of your new relay
3 get 12v power to new relay from the starter motor power cable connection.
4 Install fuse between ground and your relay trigger ground connection
5 fit output from relay to the original solenoid connection

Don't install relay too close to the exhaust system.

Use ignition switch with key in the normal way. This will help lengthen the life of your ignition switch and provide much more positive power to your solenoid to do its job.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse