Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

lithium battery for race car

Post by Zamani »

For a race car, with a 14-16v lithium battery, Im thinking of completely removing the alternator. I prefer 14 battery but it seems it’s easier to find 16v ones. The car runs best at 14v, not at 12v.

I only do short 20 minute sprints at a time. I can recharge the battery with a proper lithium charger between sessions. That would really cleanup the engine bay without the alternator, next is to move the starter to the rear flywheel as one Norwegian racer did. Actually the G80 M3 GTR also has a transaxle witha starter and alternator hooked up to it . Which means the only thing left int the engine bay is just…..drum roll…the engine :D
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: lithium battery for race car

Post by MD »

Hey Buddy what's with moving all the furniture? Are you running out of room in the engine bay from installing that V16 you have been hanging out to do?
Getting any battery out of the heat zone is always a good idea. Alternators also prefer to have a cool life. However, with DC operation, it is also a good idea to have the battery power supply as close as practicable to the starter motor to reduce voltage drops.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: lithium battery for race car

Post by Zamani »

Hey there MD, you’re a letter short. It’s a W16 from a wrecked Bugatti. But I have to say you were close…… :mrgreen:
Dr. Alban