Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Driveshaft driven Alternator

Post by Zamani »

G’day,

Has any of you thought about moving the alternator to the clutch housing area? Maybe drive it using a pulley mounted to clutch yoke,.
Dr. Alban
Duk
Verde
Verde

Re: Driveshaft driven Alternator

Post by Duk »

I've thought about it.
And had similar ideas about putting the starter motor down there, too.
But it doesn't look like there's enough space down there for it, without doing some pretty nasty modifications to the body/floor.

It would be pretty cool if magnets could be embedded into the clutch flywheel and coils embedded into a custom made clutch housing and implement a motor generator in place of the starter motor and alternator.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Duk,

Do you Remember Hans Bjurman had done a transaxle 101 Giulietta with e a starter in the back. I think I should contact him. His son Hugo is racing a 75 24V and is decimating the whole field lol. Fast family,

The engine bay would be very clean if we could do that :D
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

A bit of lag in the response. Blame it on cross hemisphere data lag..

Well the idea has certainly been deployed in very many forms before. Fortunately for the transaxle, the differential isn't moving with the suspension like a live axle which would give the alternator a hard time most likely on the fatigue fracture of the electrical connection.
If the alternator was mounted to the cross member it should work fine as it would be in a static position. Much like the one on the Supra conversion in the photo.
Cooler running, better weight distribution but the offset is much more contamination from road wash and grime particularly from salt on the roads would kill it off pronto. There is also a nuisance factor that requires the disconnection of the propshaft to replace the pulley belt.
Attachments
Supra alternator to propshaft.jpg
Supra alternator to propshaft.jpg (83.03 KiB) Viewed 620 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

G’day Mike, That’s the idea. I’m seriously considering doing this. Need to figure out where to put the alternator. I might even put it in the car itself. We’ll see. Eventually maybe the starter will go back there, and who knows maybe the engine and steering too…

https://youtu.be/5aEXIXRcPA8?si=PGuWMFn4NMo3-6hI

Thanks mate!
Dr. Alban