Murray
Verde
Verde

"If it ain't broke - don't fix it" - + LONG and dr

Post by Murray »

Well last week I decided it would be an excellent idea to change the "in tank" fuel strainer after all these years,1986 GTV6.The fittings were real tough to remove but eventually got them out.Sadly the strainer looked like new.Must have seen a lot of really good fuel over the years.I put in a new one anyway and bolted things back together.I noticed a leak and tried softening the copper sealing gaskets by heating and cooling them.Still leaked.Finally I pulled the tank and found a hairline crack in the weld where the fitting screws in.Fixed that with JB Weld and the leak was gone.At this point I decided it would be a good idea to replace the fuel pump as it was a little noisy.Bought a new Bosch and plugged it in.Fuel lines looked OK so I left them.Drove the car about 10 miles and the engine cut out no fuel, pump was seized.Got towed back home and put the old pump back in.I took the pump back to the dealer and explained that it was defective and got a replacement.On the way home the old pump crapped out on the highway same problem so I got towed home.This time I decided that my pump must be ingesting something in the fuel lines so I replaced all the soft rubber lines.My Alfa guy said that the hard plastic line from the tank never breaks down so I left it.I flushed about 30 litres (8 gal.) of fuel through the tank and ran it through a strainer to verify that there was no debris getting through.All seemed well.I installed the new pump and off I went racing this morning.Well halfway through the day the pump shut down again and here I am :evil: What am I missing ? Has any body experienced breakdown of the hard plastic fuel line ? The crud can't be coming from the tank because the strainer would catch it - wouldn't it ? I took my old pump apart after trying to reverse it and jog it many times on a 12 V source.When I disassembled it it was jammed but I couldn't find any substantial bits of garbage inside it.Any comments/suggestions ?
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Burger
Silver
Silver

Post by Burger »

You can rebuild those pumps,and I would replace the line from the tank.Mine is rubber,I didn't know there were plastic fuel lines on Alfas.To rebuild,take a slot screwdriver and bend out the crimped aluminum end of the pump.Take your time and and make sure they are flush with the roundness of the pump case.Then you need to pop out the plastic end piece,be careful not to score the rubber o-ring that seals this between it and the pump body or it'll piss fuel and be no good when it goes back together,When you get the enternals out,the roller bearings on the inlet part of the pump will be "gummed" up-WD-40 will get them spinning freely again you can also take the cover plate off easily to see if there's a film on the little impeller cylinder.Drain your tank again and replace that line,it sounds like you stirred some old stuff up.When you put the pumpback together just crimp the end again in a cross style to get an even seal,any other questions,feel free to ask
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Thanks "Burger" hope all is well in beautifull NS.
Yes there is a plastic fuel hose that is factory preformed in a "Z" shape.It is fitted to the "banjo" fitting that connects to the tank through the fuel strainer and at its other end there is a connector to which flexible rubber fuel line is connected which then turns 180 deg.and goes to the pump.The latest seized pump is brand new so the only possible source for the material which is jamming it is this "plastic" tube or so I believe,that's why I'm here.I would have installed a small fuel filter ahead of the pump to catch this garbage (If I'd been intelligent enough !) but I didn't because the ID of this hose is much larger than the fittings for a fuel filter and would have required a couple of "reducer" joints which I was trying to avoid.I'm sure there is a good reason why Alfa used this plastic pipe originally but now I guess I'll have to rip it out and replace with standard fuel line.I just find it difficult to understand that "virtually invisible" material could jam the fuel pump.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Burger
Silver
Silver

Post by Burger »

My plastic line has been replaced with3/8 (9.5mm) goodyear fuel line,no adapters.The male end on the fuel pump (inlet) is much larger than the outlet to the filter.I just did this rebuild thing on 4 old pumps I had laying around.I just recently got one of my cars out of 3-year storage and dealt with the bad gas,rotten fuel lines and seized pump nightmare-you'll be surprised at how little an obstruction it takes to seize up the pumps.I didn"t think I would be able to do it without leaks,but so far,so good.And thanx,all is well here-I spent Canada day in Bathurst,N.B.ripping Ski-Doos on the grass.Damn those Mach-z's are fast!