jaxon
Silver
Silver

My '84 GTV6 is hard to start in the morning

Post by jaxon »

Just purchased an '84 GTV6. Did a tune-up and changed the oil. It runs strong and smooth with lots of power, however, it's hard to start in the morning. If I wait till mid morning, it starts first crank. Or, if I leave it in the garage overnight it starts right up. I live in L.A., so the weather is not frigid, but just the same I have noticed this correlation. Is there some adjustment to the AFM or cold start that I'm missing?
shures
Gold
Gold

Cold Start Valve

Post by shures »

Have you verified the cold start valve is working? Otherwise check that there is still pressure in the fuel rail after sitting overnight? I don't know for sure but suspect that there is a check valve in the fuel pump and also of course the fuel pressure regulator must be working correctly to hold pressure overnight. Check Euro Car articles in the Tech Section of the front page of GTV6.Com and look at the Bosch tune-up article.
Scott Shure
Ellicott City, Md
85 GTV-6
81GTV6
Gold
Gold

Post by 81GTV6 »

Did you check the Auxiliary Air Valve?
Jacob Ricciotti

'81 GTV6 3.0
'81 GTV6 Track car
'91 164S daily driver
jaxon
Silver
Silver

Post by jaxon »

I checked the AAV and it appears to be working properly. I will check the other potential culprits: TTS, CSI and CTS. I found Greg's great L-Jetronic idle adjustment article on the oldbottle.com site.