Andy C
Silver
Silver

Fuel filter replacement

Post by Andy C »

Hi Guys, long-time reader, first time poster on the new site (can I still call it new?)...

I've got a non-starter sitting in my driveway. After returning home from a month holidays in Italy (yes- visited the Museo Storico, great stuff!) I attempted to start my GTV6. Starter cranked fine, car fires, then dies. No joy when I tried cranking again later - the starter does what it does best but it just wouldn't catch. Note that the car was running great before I left.

Assuming compression is as good as it was before I left - I checked grounds, fuses and spark, which all seemed in order. Still expecting something complicated, I looked at the fuel gauge, cringed, and wondered how the bloody hell I hadn't noticed the tank was dead empty. :oops: :shock: :oops:

I'm suspecting that during this enthusiastic/futile cranking I've dredged up some crap from the bottom of my 17-year old fuel tank (the fuel pump whines away when the AFM door is wedged open - so I'm hoping its a filter that's killing fuel pressure - is this likely?). I'm about to replace the fuel filter forward of the pump (overdue anyways. Is this as simple as it looks? I'm clearly a newby) and wondered if there's an in-tank filter I need to concern myself with as well like on the 4 cyl coupes.

Cheers and thanks in advance!
Andy C
Melbourne, Aust
'87 GTV6 GP
MD
Verde
Verde

Fuel

Post by MD »

Hi Andy,

Can't be an insurmountable problem. Could be a faulty fuel pump or one that is on its way out. Could be some fouling as you say.

How about disconnecting the supply from the tank to your fuel pump and connecting the same hose to a known clean fresh supply of fuel. At the same time disconnecting the inlet side of any upline fuel filter an directing the usual flow to a waste container.

The idea here is to purge the pump and upline free of any rubbish. Once done, fit a new upline filter and reconnect to supply rail.

With the pump sucking from a clean temporary supply, try the engine running routine again.If there is no improvement, you may have faulty or blocked injectors or fuel pump.

To check the pump, you should be able to have it tested for standard operating pressure delivery. (you may need to research more about the actual figure). If the pump is delivering correct pressure, obviously you need to work on either side of the pump to track down the snag but the above could help you with a start.

Go the Brizzy Lions !! :lol:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Andy C
Silver
Silver

Post by Andy C »

Thanks MD - sounds very sensible (except the part about the Lions of course, go Tiges! :wink: ), I'll give it a crack this weekend.

Hopefully just fouling though!

Cheers
Andy C
Melbourne, Aust
'87 GTV6 GP