grega
Gold
Gold

fuel inector seals

Post by grega »

Hey guys,

Does anyone know what the purpose of the larger (top) fuel injector seal? It's held in place w/ one of those snap rings It doesn't seem to seal anything at all? The lower seal makes sense to me because it seals the injector as it enter the engine.

Greg A
83 gtv
Toronto
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Hey a fellow Canuck with a GTV6 eh ! Greg the upper ring serves as the contact point for the "oval" metal rings that push the injectors down against the manifold to create an airtight seal.These rings are compressed by 2 bolts which attach to the engine - but I guess you already knew that if you took them out.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Murray,

Ahh yes that makes perfect sense now. I guess it's not that critical to change the large seal unless it's broken.
The replacement bottom seal that I have is not contoured like the one on the old injector, it's just a simple tube style seal, I'm wondering if it will work? Any idea?
Greg
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Greg I have both a brand new and a used lower inj.seal in front of me.The brand new one is in fact not tapered and I have them in my car.They work fine.Looking at the used seal I would say that the contour is the result of the seal having been pressed down into the hot engine and taking the shape of the injector hole over time.
1986-GTV6
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Murray,

Thanks so much. I also makes alot of sense over time the seal would take the shape of tht injector.

Did you replace or clean your injectors? I'm in the middle of changing the hoses that go from the injector to the fuel rail

Greg
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Greg replacing the injector hoses is a wise thing to do.Over the last 4 years I've replaced everything made of rubber that carries fuel.I replaced all my injectors with those sold by Greg Gordon.I figured after 20 years they were getting tired.My understanding is that other than blockages which can be dealt with by ultrasonic cleaning, the classic failure mode for older injectors is leaking of the internal seals.This can only be addressed by replacing the injector.
1986-GTV6
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

How much for the injectors? Are they the same as the stock bosch injectors?

Greg
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Greg here's Greg Gordon's e-mail address.He's the ultimate GTV6 Guru and can answer any questions you have related to injectors etc.His injectors are a modern direct replacement for the GTV6 injectors and many on this site are using them.

misty@hiperformancestore.com

He also has built a great website that covers most the ins and outs of these vehicles.I strongly recommend that you spend some time there. ( site appears to be down at the moment but I presume it will be back up soon ?)

http://www.oldebottles.com/italiancarspage3.htm
1986-GTV6
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

thanks for all the info!

Greg
fuzzysi
Silver
Silver

Post by fuzzysi »

hi,

i've been doing exactly the same thing on my v6 75...

how do you remove/replace the rubber pipe from the fuel rail and injectors?

is the replacement just standard off the shelf fuel pipe, or a trick alfa bit of pipe?

thanks

simon
Alfa 75 2.5V6
Alfasud 1.5SC
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

i removed the injectors and the rail all at once. When i put them back in i loosened the intake manifold to help.
You need to use a sharp blade to cut off the old hose. The proper size is 7.5mm fuel injection hose. I got mine from International autoparts.

Greg