niczii
Silver
Silver

Coolant expansion tank

Post by niczii »

Hi!
I'm tucking in a 3,0 24V into my alfetta GT -75.
i have opted to run the GTV6 radiator and thermostathousing.

Now i need to ask you guys/girls out there that have a GTV6.
Where does the different connections on the cooler expansion tank goes?

I know the bottom connection goes to the radiator, and the top connection under the cap is just for spitting out water IF it goes to hot/high pressure.

But the other two smaller connections, where does they go?
I need to know in order to figure out how i should connect the hoses properly.

attaching a linked image to an tank from ebspares just for reference
http://ebspares.co.uk/SHOP/EB8/pic/EB8140.JPG
"The Alfa 75 on which it was based was the second or third most unreliable car ever sold in the USA, only inching out the terrible Renault 5"
niczii
Silver
Silver

Re: Coolant expansion tank

Post by niczii »

added a really fancy drawing of how my thoughs are.
Red are hoses already connected and confirmed.
Blue are the ones i don't know where they should connect when using the expansion tank from GTV6.

HELP?!
Attachments
kylarslangar.jpg
kylarslangar.jpg (38.75 KiB) Viewed 6695 times
"The Alfa 75 on which it was based was the second or third most unreliable car ever sold in the USA, only inching out the terrible Renault 5"
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Run the large bottom drain from the reservoir to the lower radiator hose at the low point of the hose. Run the heater return to the reservoir. Run the radiator vent line from the top of the radiator to the top of the reservoir. If you are in a cool climate (northern Europe) run the overflow to the ground (if legal to do so). If in a warm climate run the overflow to the bottom of an expansion tank. The expansion tank gives the cooling system a little more mass and keeps everything full of coolant at all times, which helps a bit in hot weather and keeps coolant off the ground where it's not allowed.

Try to get the system bled as best you can, but realize that it will take a bit to get all of the air out.

I hope that helps,
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
niczii
Silver
Silver

Post by niczii »

MR2 Zig wrote:Run the large bottom drain from the reservoir to the lower radiator hose at the low point of the hose. Run the heater return to the reservoir. Run the radiator vent line from the top of the radiator to the top of the reservoir. If you are in a cool climate (northern Europe) run the overflow to the ground (if legal to do so). If in a warm climate run the overflow to the bottom of an expansion tank. The expansion tank gives the cooling system a little more mass and keeps everything full of coolant at all times, which helps a bit in hot weather and keeps coolant off the ground where it's not allowed.

Try to get the system bled as best you can, but realize that it will take a bit to get all of the air out.

I hope that helps,

It does, thank you for your help!
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Cool! I wasn't getting that from your drawing. Glad to hear its good.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Alfaaa1
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfaaa1 »

Hi,
I am now connecting the heater and surg tank hoses to my Alfetta GTV 3.2 conversion .

Is it ok to use the fitting thats on the photo for the heater hose.

The surge tank hose will be fitted to the correct location.
Attachments
IMG_E7531.jpg
IMG_E7531.jpg (111.63 KiB) Viewed 2058 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

That should be fine as they used to bleed off same location on the 12v