zambon
Verde
Verde

Wicked Cool radiator

Post by zambon »

I am planning to upgrade to a Wicked cool radiator. http://www.cmwraceparts.com/New_Folder/New1.html
I am thinking of using a 24"x19" or 26"x19" (AC is currently removed).
This radiator is 3in thick.
There was a thread on the other site discussing this, but not much was concluded other than the correct dimensions.
I am just wondering what the people here think of this plan?
Mericet
Gold
Gold

Post by Mericet »

If nothing else, I would like to know as well. I need to replace my radiator too.
Neil C.

85 GTV 6 "Benna della ruggine e mangiatore dello zoccolo"
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

I have the same issue on my milano last weekend on the track. It just gets too hot. I was thinking Greg Gordon must have hit this issue with his supercharger but perhaps in the street it has enough cool down time to make it. How do you plan on mounting the fan?
-Tom P.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Not organized enough to have a fan mounting plan at this point. Do you think I will have fan mounting difficulties?
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

Well I think the fan cage is bolted to the radiator itself so something would have to be worked out. Its dark outside so I cant check it out right now but AFAIK it bolts to the top and bottom rails of the radiator. Im surprised that a heavy duty radiator is not readily available.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

There is the Tom Zat one, but it costs a mint. I need to nickel and dime where I can. This radiator has been fitted to a Milano at least once that I know of. Therefore it can be done.
I dont know how much work it will take though.
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

Nizam said his car stays under 225 with a new stock radiator on willow springs. A new radiator is 350 bucks though.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Stock things on these cars tend not to suck. Too bad I am an economic joke right now... Plus, the Wicked Cool radiator should be lighter due to its aluminum construction. The extreme front of the car is a good place to save some weight.
My car with the cooling problem is out of commission anyway. I plan use it for developing my engine project. That way I will be able to fun my new 3l gold while I am piecing together my engine project over countless months. I will be able to test fit everything on the car that is parked (plumbing and SC mounting). Then I will pull the motor for rebouilding. When it is finished, I will swap it into the Gold.
Hmm, my new Gold has a 2.5l radiator. Damn, that thing might not be up to the task of cooling the 3l in the Mexican desert...
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

I called garcia racing and they said there is a two core and three core radiator available for the milano. 3 core for 3 liter. Hes checking on price but I doubt its cheap.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Do you have heat problems right now or is it just "just in case"? A huge radiator is a good way to add weight. You do fill it with water/stuff you know. 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

Im afraid its hitting 250 by the end a 20 minute hard run. Its fine on the street and cools down pretty quick but its going get hotter as summer progresses so I have to do something now. This car still has the AC condensor blocking the radiator so thats part of the problem.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I have had heat problems with one of my cars as well.
Mats,
You are right. Extra water is going to result in more weight. Damn.
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

Just get some carbon fiber water. Of course then youll need a clear radiator so everyone can see it.

:)
RSAE
Silver
Silver

Installed

Post by RSAE »

Hi Everyone,

I know this thread has been dormant for awhile, but I just ran across it and we installed a Wicked Cool in our race car last week. It wasn't exactly plug and play, but once we got started, it went pretty smoothly. The radiator is designed for a Chevrolet, so the outlets are close to the correct spots. The big issue was locating the radiator vertically in the car and after brainstorming in Lowe's, we ended up using 2x4 brackets with high density foam. We bent the brackets to the height we needed and then used the foam to get a nice compressed fit in the bottom channel of the radiator with said brackets. We put a couple of holes into the crossmember to secure the brackets and trimmed the "flaps" on either side to expose all of the core. On top we were able to reuse the stock rubber block and it fits nice and snug with very little wiggle. Still left to do is mount a fan, but we will be using a low-profile Spahl unit. Hopefully we won't have any more on-track cooling issues. Here are some pictures.

1. Finished bracket with foam
2. Bottom of radiator with foam placed in channel
3. Installed

-damen
Rice University Society of Automotive Engineers
www.RacingOwls.com
Mericet
Gold
Gold

Post by Mericet »

Nice. How is the preperation coming along for this year's One Lap?
Neil C.

85 GTV 6 "Benna della ruggine e mangiatore dello zoccolo"