Jim K
Verde
Verde

Alfa 75 Turbodiesel radiators.

Post by Jim K »

Hi guys,
I thought some of you may be interested in this. I found (looking through eBay) an Italian rad maker selling the TD rad for 120Euros. I just ordered one (although I already have a spare)-you don't know when these things will cease to exist.
Look in: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1
I strongly recommend you look into it and if you get it, fabricate a simple twin-fan setup, as its highly unlikely you'll find an original set (outside Eu)
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

This radiator is fantastic. Even with a single stock fan, on a summer day at the track in the desert in California, my car had no temperature problems.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

On the track you don't need double fans anyway. Not even a single. The fans are just for crawling around or idling in traffic lights.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Or for forced aftercooling in the pits... 8)
Good during a 24H I guess. :D

How much does it weigh?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Rad: 6kg
Twin fans+shroud: 5.5kg
Hey Micke, most of us drive our cars on the street, trying for the impossible compromise: road+track car.
Thats why we keep a/c, twin fans, radios...if with all this we can manage great laptimes, so much the better! (Rich dudes and Finns have dedicated track cars!) :lol:
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

OMG! :shock:

And I thought the std TS setup was bad at 4+4.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

&%##*$ paranoid with weight! :shock: Next time you go racing get an enema, clip yer nails, get a haircut and wear carbon socks! Oh, leave your tooth fillings at home! :roll:
You wanna rediscover America-race an Alfa, you wanna win-race an M3, :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
JK.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Hmmmm.... maybe I could use that thing in the trunk as ballast (I recall mine is 4+0 kg)!!

No wonder Jimbo's Alfa weighs 1856 kg :lol:

PS! Socks are heavy and for losers.
PPS! Don't forger a gooooood crap before the race.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I only wear what FIA tells me to wear... 8)

Micke, you have a 4Kg radiator? Jeez you're such a loser. :lol:
I even have a radiator that lets me use a shorter hose, easily one Kg less water... :twisted:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Screw Nitrogen, you guys should be filling yer tires with Helium,heheh! :lol: :lol: THAT oughta save ya some weight! Plus, you can use body painting into fooling the FIA THINK you have a suit on, eeeehahah! :lol: :lol: You can probably also lower laptimes by yelling "andele-andele-arriba-epa-epa-andele!" or "beep-beep" :lol: :lol:
JK.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Micke wrote
On the track you don't need double fans anyway. Not even a single. The fans are just for crawling around or idling in traffic lights.
Generally agree with that but I also think you need other contigencies to allow for climate and seasonal changes and when you go racing.eg. in your neck of the woods, I dare say that the ambient air temp would be failry low with low humidity. So your weight saving set should/does work.

In Oz the tarmac can easily be 55C with 90% humidity in summer and so heat scrubbing from the radiator has to be more efficient by increasing air speed through the radiator fins. This means one or more fans.

In the case of JK, well he doesn't really need a fan cause he is full of piss & wind already. :lol: How's it goin' Jim you Greek Duck dater you. :lol:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Doesn't increased humidity make the situation better? Better heat transfer in any case, this also is why it feels hotter outside in OZ (summer) and colder outside in Sweden/Finland (winter) when it's moist.
The asphalt can easily get to "sticky-shoe-temperatures" here too in the summer but moisture is fairly low, or very low depending who you ask I guess. :wink:
The fans do absolutely nada for airflow through the radiator unless you're driving less then 10Km/h or so.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

"Sticky-shoe-asphalt" is what keeps Aussies like MD from falling off the Earth into space! :lol: :lol:
Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Good to hear from you JK. I never knew how unique a guy you really are mate. You're the only one I know that needs to sit on a 75 OD cork plug to keep his brains in. In think there may be an award for that.! :lol:

Mats if your fans arent' doing jack, you must have them mounted in the boot. If you still have doubt get a hot wire anamometer and probe in the front of the radiator when the fan is running to get a revelation. Of course there are fans and there are fans. Unless you have a decent shroud encapsulating the radiator and the fan together, the efficeincy of the fan will fall off dramatically. It also pays dividends if you block off any by passing of the airflow around the radiator at the front of the vehicle to force all air through the radiator only. (Fan or no fan)

I think you could be dicing with engine failure even in a race car if you have no fan at all. That kind of weight paranoia is in my opinion counter productive.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Would putting a Goiter Termination help you think? Can it replace the shroud? :lol: