sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

how much cooling?

Post by sh0rtlife »

on my project im going to be quite limited on a radiator size

looking at the ruff measurements im looking at something like 36-39 x 12-14 inches at the max...however it will easily get FULL air flow and have plenty of room to mount as beefy of fans as i want(puller only NOT pusher).....figured as a safeguard id grill the inner fender walls to let the air escape as well hopefully aiding in the cooling

question is....is that going to be enuf cooling for a 2.5?.......i can run multiple storage tanks if need be to add to the amount of coolant used if need be.....but i dont think theres any way to make more room for a a larger radiator short of loseing the front sway bar and mounts on the frame
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

A few tips irrespective of what you do to get better cooling :-

1. Don't listen to anything Barry says. He's a refuge from Holland via all the sun tanned crew in SA. He even tried to get a serious tan just to be one of the boys but he got rejected. Poor bastard can't get a card game anywhere, but I digress... :D :D (apologies to the rest of the good people in Holland and SA)

2. Use a core that has the greatest number of fins per square inch you can get to increase the surface area for heat dissipation

3. For whatever area you can fit, you can also increase the depth (thickness) of the core.

4. When you fit a suction fan, be sure to fit a cowling around the blades. Seal the edge of the cowling up against the core by fitting door sealing rubber to the cowling rim and press it against the core for an air tight seal. This will force the fan to suck through the core and from nowhere else.

5. Create some paneling infront of the core and behind the grille to guide the incoming air through the core and nowhere else.

6. Use at least a mixture of 50% ethylglycol concentrate and distilled water as your coolant fluid.

7. If you get desparate (like Barry) :D you could install a supplementary radiator somewhere else and pump the coolant using an electric pump as part of your total cooling need.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

ahh some insight..i thank you....and the humor helps too LOL

initially i was pondering a pair of split rad's up in the front fender wells..didnt like the idea

im now on the hunt for some "thin" fans

anyone know how much air the "stock" milano fan moves by chance?..or the stock gtv6 fans?.....so i can make sure im moveing about the same air flow with new fans(or more!!!)....i know the porsche turbo fans on the GTV6 are overkill but LOVE em anyway
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

shortlife,

Try this mod for the rad fans. The Alfa's just plain suck. These are from the Maserati Biturbo and can be had from several parts places like Lenny at Autoitalia.com or Joe at maserati compound (check evilbay under maserati biturbo - parts & accessories. It's an almost bolt in swap. The fan assembly is identical to the radiator in the GTV6. 1. Just raise the rad and slip the fan shroud under the rad and drop back down. It is a little tight when negotiating them in as the A/C comp is close. 2. Take 3 sef tapping SS screws and drill thru the top of the shroud & the flange on top of the rad. 3. Swap the electrical connectors to mate the GTV6's. Thats it. Oh yeah, you'll need to remove the sensor connector on the thermostat housing prior to install.

In summer, I've seen the temp at the themostat range even with A/C & sitting in traffic. These fans really suck/blow (whatever) air comparedc the the sh!tty OEMs. I paid about $60 USD + shipping for each of my 2 fan assemblies - one for spare.
Attachments
Birurbo-GTV6 Rad Fan In Car 1.jpg
Birurbo-GTV6 Rad Fan In Car 1.jpg (143.22 KiB) Viewed 8756 times
Biturbo-GTV6 Rad Fan Out of Car.jpg
Biturbo-GTV6 Rad Fan Out of Car.jpg (95.53 KiB) Viewed 8752 times
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

Brook, great stuff!

What year (range) Maserati biturbo are we talking about?

There are 2 on ebay, but they appear to have smaller motors.

http://tinyurl.com/4dforh

Thanks.

David
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

David,

The rad fans from joedro look identical to my spare set. Ironically, a friend of mine bought the same set up from him a couple of years back for the fans & I chipped in to have a spare Biturbo radiator - win/win situation.

The 1st set installed on my GTV6 have a larger fan motor on the RH side which I surmise is from the 'Tropicaire' edition of the Bitrouble, but not certain. This version had some mods for the 'southern climates' which included wheel rims for more cooling. I wouldn't think either makes a big difference when trying to cool an engine as HEAT is the distroyer of all things mechnical. The OEM fans are also NLA, but who'd in their right mind would want those POSs.

I think these were the OEM fan set up for the Twin Turbo Calloway from Calloway.

Ask what year model Biturbo they're from. BTW, I only saw the fans from joedro and not the other ones. PS - joedroe's an odd duck and isn't too familiar with the Biturbo line, but is a reasonable guy. He actually purchased his Biturbo stuff originally from Louie at DeNoya Trading Place who told/sold me this set up. Louie's forgotten more than we'll ever know.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

nice fans...but still FAR FAR to thick for my project alfa/lloyd

on my gtv6 i have the setup for a 944 TURBO and they work ULTRA well
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I have a low profile type flex-a-lite fan if you are interested. I believe it's 16" in size. Let me know if you are interested.
Dr. Alban
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

i probably am..but where are you at...