Tezza
Silver
Silver

Thermostat assmebly

Post by Tezza »

Hi,

Is it possible to get a new thermostat assembly for a '85 GTV6 in the UK? Mine has corroded and on cleaning it up holes have appeared in the housing.

Cheers,

Tezza
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: Thermostat assmebly

Post by MD »

I am most certain that there is and I am sure a UK post will follow soon.

The pupose of my post is to warn you of potentially more serious corrosion in other areas such as the water pump, the head and radiator. Be on the look out for this as a corroded thermostat housing is not that common a problem of its own without the rest of the cooling system being affected.

Only use distilled water with a reputable anti-freeze/antiboil additive. Mix it yourself.

Never use premixed coolants. tap water, river water, rain water unless in an emergency. This is for reasons of hardness and mineral deposition, pH induced corrosion and the eventual damage to the cooling system.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Tezza
Silver
Silver

Re: Thermostat assmebly

Post by Tezza »

MD,

Thanks for the reply and information. The reason I noticed the corroded thermostat was because I had to remove it to replace the shot water pump. The pump itself was in pretty good condition apart from the bearings. I next intend to adjust the tappets so will check the head then.

I don't have a proper parts list and associated diagrams. The assembly that sits on top of the pump seems to be in three sections. Were these sold together or seperately? The part with the hole in is the top one, but the other two are also ropey and Ideally I would like to replace the whole lot.

Again many thanks.