Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

AC Switch

Post by Terry Johnston »

I have a new (used) dash board ac switch to replace my worn out one. There is a long copper tube coming out the back that goes into a tar like blob underneath the dash board (passenger side). Before I dig into it I thought I would see if anyone had been there done that so I would know what to expect. I am particurally curious what and how the tube is connectewd to whatever it is connected to. Thanks!

Terry Johnston 83 CA GTV6 (Orginal Owner)
Terry
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: AC Switch

Post by MD »

Terry,

The tube you are talking about is actually a thermo probe and it is simply attached to the refrigerant tube that passes through the evapourator to measure rise and fall of temperature and works in conjunction with your temp settings on the selection dial. It is simply held on by the black putty like substance which is actually an insulation material that prevents condensation forming on the tubes to create internal water drops and the ensuing mould.

Do not remove it from where it is and be sure that black material covers it well.

Cheers. MD
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Membse
Silver
Silver

Post by Membse »

The AC Switch Block allows a conventional 5V signal to control a much larger AC line. The switch can handle up to 16 Amps of current provided it is kept cool enough. At 110V, this is more than 1500W. We suggest that this limit be approached very carefully and http://www.houstonairconditioners.net/a ... ments.html recommend staying far beneath this.
Once an AC line is connected to the AC terminals, several places on the board will become live. This makes it absolutely essential that the board be mounted in a way that will prevent short circuits and accidental human contact. This is true even for rough prototypes or trial hook ups. Treat AC line voltages with much respect.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Wow, alternating currents in a thread about air conditioning... :roll:

SPAM!
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!