giacomo
Silver
Silver

RADIATOR FAN FUNCTIONS

Post by giacomo »

Hello Alfisti. I have a stock 85 GTV 2.5. I recently noticed that when the water temperature reaches the target temperature, the left radiator fan goes on, the right radiator fan does not. I checked the fuses and the fan itself and everything seems OK. All other fused instruments and accessories also work fine. I'd appreciate some suggestions to help me solve this issue. I did, however, read somewhere that the right-hand only goes on when the AC is working. My AC does not work. Should both fans go on to cool the radiator? Thanks for the info. James
1985 GTV6 2.5 (France)
1970 GTV 1750
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Re: RADIATOR FAN FUNCTIONS

Post by MR2 Zig »

With the car off try to sping the not working fan by hand. Sometimes they stick. bearings may need some lube...unfortunatly you have to disassemble the fan to do that.

One thing that I did was I adopted a Milano fan to the GTV6. You have to fab up a mounting and grind 2 reliefs in the shroud for the radiator edge, but it works well here in Fresn, Ca.

hth,
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

James if your car has the "tropicaire" system (extra blower/evaporator under the glovebox in lieu of a parcel shelf) then the correct logic is that if the coolant temperature sensor in the radiator turns on then both fans should function.They should also both function if the coolant sensor has not closed but the AC has been commanded on with the dashboard switch.For current Montreal weather ( 90 oF) you need to have both fans running or you're going to overheat.Don't let that happen :roll: Check your AC fan with 12V and ground directly to its connector.If it works then your problem is likely in a one of the relays or wiring assuming you've confirmed all fuses are good.
Attachments
AIRCON-2.jpg
AIRCON-2.jpg (70.9 KiB) Viewed 7388 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
giacomo
Silver
Silver

Post by giacomo »

Murray, thanks for the valuable info. I don't know much about Tropicaire, but the car is European (Paris) and it has a shelf under the glovebox. It is stock with 30,000 km.
From the diagram you have provided, I am tempted to think that the problem may lie in the far left or far right relays and hence those should be checked out. The diagram suggests that the left relay is on the left fender, but where do you think the right relay be placed? I noticed a series of relays above the fuse panel.
I would like to drive the car as soon as possible. Do you know a technician in Montreal that could solve this problem?
Thanks for your help. James
1985 GTV6 2.5 (France)
1970 GTV 1750
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

My '83 (US Model) originally was as you described - one fan comes on at temp. the second fan kicks on when you turn the ac on. It has the parcel shelf under the glove box (is not a Tropicair equipped).

Years ago I changed it so that both fans come on when the engine reaches temp., but I forget exactly what the heck I did. I'll see if I can check in the next few days...

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

but the car is European (Paris) and it has a shelf under the glovebox.
Jim please ignore what I said previously and my diagram.I figured yours was a North American market Alfa and based on your description you definately don't have the "Tropicaire" system.
For the european model you need to check fuses 3,4,& 7 as well as relays 34,35 & 38.See the diagram below.If you are unsucessfull I can give you a couple of names in the Montreal area or if it gets cool enough 8) you could drive down to Knowlton.I own a Napa garage and we love Alfas. :D
Attachments
fusepanel.JPG
fusepanel.JPG (107.14 KiB) Viewed 7343 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
giacomo
Silver
Silver

Post by giacomo »

Hello Murray. Thanks again for the info. If it was cooler, I would love to take a ride out to Knowlton. But until I solve my current problem or the heat lets up, the Alfa is best left in the garage.
I will check the relays you identified and get back to you with the results.
I noted that the same left fan goes on alone when I activate the AC, so the problem should lie in the relay.
Stay cool. James
1985 GTV6 2.5 (France)
1970 GTV 1750
giacomo
Silver
Silver

Post by giacomo »

Murray. thanks you were right on the money. It was the D relay that was malfunctioning. I removed it, tapped it a few times with a screwdriver handle, greased it with some dielectric grease and replaced it. Works fine, but I will replace it soon to be safe. Thanks again and I plan to take a ride out to knowlton this summer. James :D
1985 GTV6 2.5 (France)
1970 GTV 1750