Site Admin
Site Admin

Universal Aluminium Radiators ?

Post by Michael »

Hi:

I have heard rumors of people getting radiators like these to fit in a GTV6:

See: JEGS Universal Aluminum Radiators
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Univers ... 1/10002/-1

I just paid $100 to have a leak fixed in my 25 year old stock radiator - looks like this would make a good winter project and only cost $159. I think the Chevy/GM-Style has the inlet/outlet pipes on the right side.
Anyone know of a better option? The IAP $750 radiator is very cool - but does not count as a substitute :lol:
Michael
1981 GTV6
Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: Universal Aluminium Radiators ?

Post by Mats »

I have a Golf/Rabbit radiator in my racecar, pretty common here. I also have an almost new rad standing around in my garage, thinking about binning it...
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Those rads seem well made Mike. I dont like the plastic tank variety more commonly around. I would look for a radiator that provided a discharge tap so you dont have to remove the hose to drain it and of course provision for the thermocouple to be fitted that triggers the electric fan.

I had a custom made radiator for my GTV6 when I was rebuilding it. It cost me $620 AUD but it is a tradional brass tank and copper core unit but it does have the above features to it and twin fans.

The Milano radiator is a poor performer in OZ as it has too many fins per inch(~20 ) and round tubes. The round tubes and too many fins per inch cause poor air flow in low speed traffic. Flat tubes and a lot less fins per inch (~13) perform much better here due to more air movement through it.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

PO put one in (universal). Nicely made all aluminum, but TOO thick (fans had to be mounted up front). I saved it.

I have what I thought was a nearly new all metal alfa rad(brass end tanks), but after installing (clean but without pressure testing) I found that each end tank had a small leaking crack)

Finally, I put in the IAP radiator. Perfect fit. All aluminum. excellent welds. Works with stock fans in stock position. It even comes with the lower guide pins. I did have to trim the mounting tab slightly so it tucks under the body flange. I used GTV rubber rad mount up top.

Universal rad ~400

IAP rad ~ 682

Spend wisely