Scott in MN
Silver
Silver

Waterpump Replacement Questions

Post by Scott in MN »

I'm in the middle of replacing the water pump on my '83 GTV6. It's too cold out to adjust the mechanical tensioner so I thought I'd ask a few questions.

Should I coat the water pump gasket with gasket sealing compound? I have used a black, non-harding stuff before. Or do you folks put the gasket on dry?

What is the stock metric diameter is the two short coolant hoses extending back from the thermostat? The hoses I removed were marked 1" inside diameter. Hose clamps presently on these hoses are the cheap open thread screw clamps where the hose squeezes up through the threads over time. Where can I get some proper closed thread or fuel injection type clamps that will not damagel the hoses?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Why use the gasket at all??!! Just make sure the mating surfaces are very clean (rub with a rag soaked with paint thinner) and apply a good non-hardening (Wurth,Loctite,etc) sealant according to the supplied instructions. Bolt down and clean the excess away. I use the same no-gasket process with the timing cover also, as well as the lower sump pan. Hasn't failed yet! :wink:
Jim K.
Carel
Silver
Silver

Post by Carel »

On the subject of waterpumps, has anyone used an electric water pump.

something like these http://www.hot4cold.co.za/

Carel