Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

AC Fan

Post by Terry Johnston »

My AC fan in the engine compartment does not seem to want to come on. THe AC works as I see bubbles in the window of the drier and I get cool air out outlets. The fan comes on when I put direct 12 V to it. My understanding is that the fan should come on when the AC is on. Any suggestions? Terry Johnston
Terry
Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

AC Fan Update

Post by Terry Johnston »

Went and cleaned the two relays. Now when the AC is turned on the radiator fan turns on but the AC fan does not. Beginnig to think that maybe one of the relays is dead. Terry
Terry
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Terry my understanding is that the dual fans always come on together both for engine cooling and when the AC is on.The difference is that for engine cooling the fans are activated by the radiator fan thermostat whereas for AC the fans are turned on by the AC system (blue rotary knob on the dash).My guess is that one of your fan motors has died.Both fans have plug in connectors about 12 " along the supply wire near their motors.Unplug the one that doesn't run and supply 12V directly to it.This will demonstrate if the motor is gone.If so they can't normally be repaired.You either have to find another GTV6 fan or get a generic fan motor from an auto parts store and rig something up yourself.Be carefull about running one fan in hot weather I found that on the highway everything was alright but in stop and go traffic you'll probably overheat.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

Post by Terry Johnston »

Hi Murray,

I have given the non working fan direct 12 V and it works like a champ. Thought it might be the relays so cleaned both and the fan still does not work. Swapped the relays and no change. Beginning to think it is the circuit so that will be my task for the day. Terry
Terry
Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

AC Fan

Post by Terry Johnston »

Well it turned out to be a bad connecter to the fan. I eliminated the connector and directly connected the wired. I'll have to get a new connector but the important thing is that everything now works. Also, I can now determine if the fan I put in front of the condenser will have a measurable positive impact on the AC. Terry
Terry