zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Last summer I tried to drill one of these pins out...the drill bit is now a permanent part of the shift linkage.
I am thinking about making the area red hot with a welding torch and then trying the hammer some more.
Murray,
Good point about using the block of wood to support the rod. I have not been doing that, but I will tommorrow :wink:
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Took the welding torch to the roll pin :twisted:
It reluctantly gave in. Still, I think I would have had much difficulty without the special roll pin punches. That thing is a real bugger!
Now on to the next problem:
The rear trans mount is rotten and I think that the metal insert has become permantly attached to the bolt...
I could not get my impact on the bolt (I used it to remove the nut 80% before the impact would no longer fit). Tried to hammer the bolt through using a pipe up against the bolt extending out from under the car so my partner could hit it super hard. It was no use.
Next up:
Sawzall to cut through the bolt on both sides of the rear transaxle mount.

All you hosers who can do this in an hour-Take Off! :)
Hippo58
Silver
Silver

Post by Hippo58 »

Mine was also one-piece and I finally took out the angle grinder and cut the S$%t out of it! Bloody English weather! New bolt with anti-seize copper grease when refitting.
Petros. Transaxleista!
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Finally got the gearbox out yesterday night. Had to heat the linkage again in order to get it to separate.
It was a sorry sight. The case looked smooth because all of the cavities were full of grease, dirt, and rust.
I took it to the car wash today and pressure washed it. Then I sprayed carb cleaner on it, wire brushed it with a detailing brush, and let it soak for a while before pressure washing again.
It is still rather greasy, but clean enough for disassembly. I will remove what is left of the brakes :shock: and repeat the process.
I would like to use the calipers for an vented rotor conversion, but I dont know yet if their condition is good enough.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Does anyone know what the best way to remove the rear trans mount is? Can it be pounded out with a hammer and drift? Has anyone made a homebrew puller for this?
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Home brew puller, I have one in the tool box, if you have time I can ship it out to you or give details how to build it. DaveH built it for his car, but all the special alfa tools seem to collect at my house. A large short pipe, threaded rod and some large thick washers. I will have to get it out and take a look at it, I remember the tool and an impact gun made it a very east job!
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Sam,
Thanks, I think I can picture that :)
I will go in to the hardware store and see if I can make a similar puller.
Not to put you on the spot, but we should photograph our home spun tools and post them in a thread here. Could be helpful.
James
Hippo58
Silver
Silver

Post by Hippo58 »

Don't forget to search the forum! New and old! Everything is there!

This was a few posts down the list.

Here is the tool.

http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... +tool#6965
Petros. Transaxleista!