AEnemaBay
Silver
Silver

Funny sound from clutch?

Post by AEnemaBay »

Hey everyone, I'm new to this board and to the Alfa Romeo, but I can tell you that I am already addicted, love the style and balls to the wall power. I just received a 1982 GTV6 from my uncle. Almost everything about it is great except one thing. When I am shifting, mainly down shifting, I hear a very loud and annoying scream come from the car. I've stopped driving the car until I fix this, mainly because I am not that good with cars, but my father says it may be the clutch. Any help in this matter will be much appreciated.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Bearing in the clutch cover probably, they sometimes spin in the cover and cause an awful noise kinda like a wet bicycle brake.
Worst case you need a new case.

I drove a 75 TS two years with that problem, you learn how to shift after a while... ;)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
qada
Silver
Silver

Post by qada »

Hello,
I am quite new here but in my opinion this awful sound could have two reasons (one cheap and one expensive):
1. It might come from the thread ring holding the two- disk clutch system together. I had this problem ages ago (we have been owning our gtv 6 for more than 12 years now). This hardened ring broke and each and every time pressing the clutch pedal the entire clutch system was pressed into the housing of the gearbox.
If the clutch does not work anymore this might be the solution.

2. Quite normal sound when downshifting too quickly which comes from the synchronisation rings (especially 3 to 2 which is a problem since Alfa Romeo built transaxle cars...). It is quite easy to avoid this noise. Not shifting down too quick at a cold gearbox (it will be better after say 20 kilometers) or a just kick on the throttle when downshifting. Left foot on the clutch, right foot on the brake and on the throttle. You will learn it for sure... :D
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

It can´t just be the syncro-rings in the gear box? Is it everytime you downshift or between two specific gears?

Does it appear when you push down the clutch or when you change the gear?

Seb
Proud member of Team Rauk Race.

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
75 3.0 Race Car "The raukster"
ingegnere
Gold
Gold

Post by ingegnere »

To those who hear a strange noise from the clutch housing:

Take care of that noise!
I was a bit lazy.
I also had the same, standard clutch noise, but I didn't mind.
Then I had slight vibration underneath. 'Just the stupid donut again'- I thought.
Then virration, shaking and rattle became more and more intensive! 'That cannnot be the donut!'

And yes, it wasn't. :( Yesterday I'd to replace the clutch housing which broke into 4 pieces. :cry:

This is one of the most dramatic problems, but I wanted to demonstrate that this noise should be taken care of.

ps:
of course I needed a quick solution, so I replaced a whole different house-clutch-flywheel unit which cause imbalance in the driveshaft So it vibrates again, but at least driveable until the new donuts, and all the new bearings arrive, and I put the original flywheel back.
'The GTV': '83 GTV6; (summer)
' Mr Brown': '82 Alfetta 2000L; (family car)
'The Little Red': '79 Alfasud 1.3 Super; (under restoration)