Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:roll: Ok,Tested these mounts untill I bled....I cannot get rid of the vibe above 3500 rpm...
Made new ones following Mikes suggestion...

Ive made the through holes 12mm..Where yhe center plate is moulded Ive undercut the bolts to around 8mm..this will give a bit of flex and movement(hopefully enough to cancell the vibrations..)before it goes solid and holds everything in place....time will tell.
Will fit them to the car am...
Attachments
DSC00030.JPG
DSC00030.JPG (150.05 KiB) Viewed 10577 times
DSC00027.JPG
DSC00027.JPG (138.38 KiB) Viewed 10547 times
DSC00023.JPG
DSC00023.JPG (147.15 KiB) Viewed 9341 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That sure looks like it will work. It seems to me that the first design should work, perhaps softer rubber would solve the vibration. In any case this second version with a bolt through the original type mount should be just fine.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Greg,Once I know what works well,Ill make something final..I hope its not ver. 10.01.13 !!
A load of work to change them everytime..The first ones were typical of my old race car....vibrations high up the rev range...
I think the idea here is emulate the std mounting without the "stretch" on the rubber..If ver.2 works,ive got the final idea already... :!:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Bazza,

I have no vibration that I can attribute to the modified transaxle mount. Vibrations that I do have relate to a small bend in the prop shaft which I am getting rectified.

However I did have a vibration on a second car that had a clutch change. This was rectifed by a more accurate balance of the flywheel and clutch assembly. Being just a regular street workhorse, I only rev it to 6k but it has no problems. It has the modified mounts too.

So for your vibrations problems, I would discount the mounts and look elsewhere.

...on the other hand, if you are looking for some good vibrations, why not look up an old girlfriend ? :wink:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Hello Mike,
Ive had 2x full clutches balanced and 2x full props done for this car just to make absolutly sure it was not any of those cousing the vibes..
When I say vibes,its more like a low level zing...(Batteries going flat on the missu`s vibrator??you know.... :D )
Im putting the revised mounts in today..its 5:30am now...so Ill know a bit later on..if its the same zing,Im jumping off my toolbox...

Unfortunatly the owner thought he had a Ford f150 here and wound the mounts up pretty good.... :wink:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Barry,

Just thought of another vibration source which can perhaps resonate with something else to produce an odd effect. It is the engine pipe. A flex exhaust connection does wonders to smooth out general vibrations sourced to the engine.

Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs... :) ( I save that for JK) :D
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Hey Mike,valid suggestion there....The zaust has them in already,so I can eliminate that as a source...
Fitted the upgraded ver2 mounts yesterday..Bingo!!As smooth as a baby`s butt..no more vibes,no more zing..
Greg has probably hit the nail onthe head with the same "squishiness"thing..This has proven one thing,the mounts play a much more important role than just keeping things together..

Ive inspected the old modified mount and will make version 2 of that with a few changes..I think it was way too solid...
That will then get tested in the ol Giulietta later..

Product review??Anyone wanting a cheap and efficient method,go for ver 2 as above...they should also last much longer... :idea:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

There is nothing more satisfying than getting a pesky problem sorted is there? Driving these fine cars is very satifying but owners who are all thumbs and never have a crack at fixing anything themselves certainlty miss out on the rewards of a challenge conquered.

Well done Barry. That machined centre section of the bolt is simply a bit of genius. :!:
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Tired of replacing box mounts??-Barry

Post by PietereQ »

Well this will be a major topic resurrection, but for the clarity's sake...
Im about to install transaxle back into my car, and I have BRAND NEW mounts from eb spares. Still is it worth cross drilling new mounts? Having second thoughts.. I mean they really smell NEW :lol:
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I always do this.

Greg
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

If they are EB mounts they are 75/milano mounts, not gtv6, so if you havent already take the extra base plate off too
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Well today after 5 months i have test driven my gtv6, and I'm sorry to say that, mount reinforcement didnt work with my car. I have used "Barry style" reinforcement with material grinded off the bolt in it's central section. I had terrible vibration form 2,5K rpm and on deceleration regardless of rpm. Got rid of the bolts and it's smooth as never was. These are brand new mounts, so I'm left with hope that they will last few seasons.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I have done this four times, on four different cars with 100% success, so there is some variable here causing the vibration.

Jes also had a vibration issue, so there is some variable that comes up, but the basic concept is sound.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

I think there might be a difference in how you drill the holes through the rubber...

I was looking into this mod and wondered how i could do it best when i realized that the amount of "free play?" around the bolt was not very much. the difference with or without weight applied to the mounts might cause the bolts to touch the other part and cause a vibration.

I drilled the holes while the gearbox mounts were fitted to a spare triangle holding a spare gearbox. this way the mounts are loaded with the weight of the gearbox as they would be under the car. I never had a problem with it this way.
Drive it like you stole it...
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Giuliettaevo2 wrote:I think there might be a difference in how you drill the holes through the rubber...

I was looking into this mod and wondered how i could do it best when i realized that the amount of "free play?" around the bolt was not very much. the difference with or without weight applied to the mounts might cause the bolts to touch the other part and cause a vibration.

I drilled the holes while the gearbox mounts were fitted to a spare triangle holding a spare gearbox. this way the mounts are loaded with the weight of the gearbox as they would be under the car. I never had a problem with it this way.

Genius !! Never thought about that !
Once again a collective solution.. 8)
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.