Duk
Verde
Verde

Re: Short Shift

Post by Duk »

MD wrote:Easy.
Look at photo.
Cut before the "00"
Can't, I have isostatic mechanism and want to convert to the simpler system. Isostatic doesn't use splines, the g'box shaft has a hole for a roll pin so I'll have to make my own crank/lever.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

More easy..

Retain the tube that fits over the selector shaft and is kept in place by the roll pin.
Chuck everything else to the shithouse.
Graft onto this tube your own crank and make it any length you choose. About 65mm from selector centre to selector rod centre should do it.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Just moved this pic from another section for discussion .
This seems a pretty simple set up . Looks like a fair distance from the spherical bearing to where it bolts onto the linkage bar to shorten the change . Pity I can't find any more pics where it joins up to the box .
MD whadda ya guys think down under ? :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (128.29 KiB) Viewed 5516 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Yes I am very pleased to see an effort with some lateral thinking happening. Straddling the tunnel should help with tunnel flex which is a problem. I know of a certain guy who prepares rally Alfettas and uses a "double tunnel" technique to stiffen it. This is done by cutting a section out of a donor wreck and welding into the car's tunnel. This effectively firms up the shifter base which has a tendency to flex. I do carry out a stiffening as well but a different approach to both of these.

The length below the fulcrum on the shifter base seems about right and should reduce shifting throw. The dimensions of the shifter body itself is a good generous proportion and will eliminate the flexing of this component. Good stuff.

So in summary, throw and rigidity have been well addressed.

However, the actual components that make such a system work are not visible and therefore I cannot make a worthwhile comment that is much help in order that others could replicate this with success.

From what I do see in that the way the selector shaft is connected to the shifter base, it does not lend itself for smooth and correct selection. It may work up to a point as I have made version using similar arrangements but the shift is baulky- especially into 2nd gear.

So my apologies to the person who actually owns this vehicle if my observations offend. If anyone knows the full details of the make up and provides some photos of same, I happy to retract my comment.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi guys. Long time since I visited this topic. Come across this set up in a local advertisement of an Alfetta GTV 2.0
Anyone come across this before? Is it a commercial set up ? Is it a home brew?
Attachments
Alfetta GTV shifter.jpg
Alfetta GTV shifter.jpg (82.26 KiB) Viewed 4402 times
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Looks nice, but I haven't heard of anyone manufacturing anything shifter related for our cars.
As this will be the final modification that I have planned for my 24V project, I was thinking of doing something along these lines;
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Peter,
See notes on photo
Attachments
2018-07-14_082307.jpg
2018-07-14_082307.jpg (243.08 KiB) Viewed 4269 times