Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

very exciting... well as usual i looked to see what differentials are available used on the ebay market... there was a 350z rear diff, a couple early model supra diffs, and an s2000 setup. the most appealing so far has been the bmw diffs i searched for. there seem to be quite numerous drive ratios and it seems as if some of the rear diff covers, which facilitate mounting are interchangeable. i did see a single mount at the top back center portion of the diff on one of them but i forget which one. the ones with two mount points at the top back look as if they would present problems for the inboard brakes... if i do use the single mount type i would have to secure the front of the diff somehow on both sides like the transaxle to prevent it from rotating a small degree with the torque, correct? no matter how the rear is afixed is it necessary to have front differential supports, or would the rear piece of the driveshaft going forward to the support bearing at the dedion be sufficient?
i will have to look at these diff's in person. are there any sort of rules as to which bmw differentials came factory equipped with limited slip? all e36->on m3 diffs are ls correct?
the ratio at the differential basically limits top speed correct? so a higher ratio of 4.1 is means 4 turns of the driveshaft=1 turn of the rear wheels, or is it defined in terms engine rpms? would that mean that a 3.19 ratio is longer... higher absolute top speed than a 4.1 or is it lower?
am i thinking about this in the right way? is it all a moot point with the extra tall overdrive 6th gear or are there big differences between these ratios? i am not concerned with top speed i was just thinking in terms of the limiting factor...
regards,
vittorio