aranala
Silver
Silver

Second gear

Post by aranala »

Hi, I just bought a 1982GTV...I used to have a 1984 GTV so is not that I do not handle it well, but second gear on this one it's not easy at all....downshifting is out of the question....could it be the car needs tune up? Would sagging engine mounts have any thing to do?
When car is warm getting into second from first is a lot easier but i'm afraid to down shift and break something.

Any comments? I know about the pause and about revying it up when Downshifting, anything else I should do??
El Frayle
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Aranala sagging engine mounts are not likely the source of your trouble.You should however check the transaxle mounts (2 front 1 rear) because if the gearbox is out of allignment with the shifter that can mess things up.Given the year of your car you should have the simple non-isostatic shifter mechanism so that is not likely the problem.Unfortunately the most likely culprit is the 2nd gear syncro ring inside the transaxle.There is a great deal of info on this site on how to deal with this but if you have any questions ask away.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
car guy
Silver
Silver

second gear crunch

Post by car guy »

If needle bearings replaced the bushings in the Alfa gtv6 gearbox the syncros would not have to work as hard to stop the gears from turning before the gears engage. Thats why alfas shift better when they are warm. Many other cars use needle bearings instead of bushings. Less rotational drag.