Romeo69
Silver
Silver

gear makes crunching sound when selecting reverse or first

Post by Romeo69 »

It seems to happen when the gearbox is warm, when its cold in the morning reverse and first works fine. I get a noise from the gearbox that seems that the gear wheels are turning at low speed so it makes the noise by selecting the reverse..
I still did bleed of the system...no change...can I adjust the stroke on the slave/master cylinder in order to have a few more inches to push the clutch??
thanks for advice.. :D
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

If you are not having any problems with other gears the trouble is not with the clutch hydraulics.

This one is most likely operator error. Try this...with the car sitting still and the motor running try to put it in another gear, like 4th, then without letting the clutch out put it into reverse. I'll bet it goes right in.
Romeo69
Silver
Silver

Post by Romeo69 »

....I did this every time before, no change.
I tried now again a few times to bleed to get all the air out, it seems to be better now.
Was in Brescia, italy, last week for the start of the MilleMiglia with my gtv6.

The problem i have now with the clutch is this one:
- pushing slowly on the clucth-pedal, the pedal goes down without pressure, no action on the clutch. Pushing a bit faster, it has immediately pressure and it does NOT anymore loose the pressure (found no oil-leak)...

Does someone know this symptom?? :?:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Yes, leaky master clutch cylinder. Rebuild it and it will be fine, mine was anyway. :)

Sounds like you have some drag in your clutch even when it's disengaged, when cold the oil is thicker and slows the gears down so you don't get the crunch but when hot the gears spin faster.
Probably the clutch plate doesn't slide perfectly on the input shaft, if it's a bit stycky it will drag against the flywheel even if you remove the pressure by moving the pressure plate out. Or you don't get the full travel because of the MC problem.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

definatly sounds like a leaky MC..rebuild or replace...i replaced mine with a bmw 23mm for some extre pedal pressure