mjr
Platinum
Platinum

performatek alloy fleewheel

Post by mjr »

anyone had experience with these? thinking about getting one, get rid of the heavy standard one for 83 2.5 with standard transaxle and engine with 164s cams
Wernerh
Silver
Silver

Re: performatek alloy fleewheel

Post by Wernerh »

Noone has tried this flywheel yet ?
Maybe today, there are more experiences available.

Would like to have the engine characteristic more sports-car-like,
and prefere, that the engine is reving much faster to higher and to lower rpms,
(not that extrem like a motorcycle, but much faster than usual).

I do not race, but neither use my GTV6 for driving to work or shopping and in city traffic.

My question is, outside of traffic, with such a lightened flywheel, is the care still driveable?
Sure, that it cannot be that smooth like starting with a factory one, and that it must
be a loss of comfort.

And, is the flywheel well balanced for a bolt-on-exchange ?
This would eliminate all the trouble of the work of balancing a factory flywheel...

Thanks!
Werner
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I have one sitting here. It's a well made product, but I have not tried it yet. The flywheel from Performatek does have offset weight built into it like the factory flywheel, but you will still have to balance the engine.

Greg
Wernerh
Silver
Silver

Post by Wernerh »

Ok, Greg..

Please let us know, if you have the flywheel installed.

By the way...
Is the performatek not well balanced to the factory specs ?
I think, balancing is a point, still with many doubts..

Thanks
Werner
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Werner:

I actually have two alloy flywheels here for the Alfa V6. The first one is from Performatek, and it's designed for an externally balanced Alfa V6 (the way they are from the factory). The second alloy flywheel is designed for an internally balanced Alfa V6. Use of this second flywheel requires some serious work.

The performatek flywheel is an excellent product, I don't think it could be any better or easier to use in an Alfa V6. However like any part in the engine that's attached to the main rotation mass, use of it will require balancing the rotating assembly. This is true for new pistons, rods, front crank pulley, or simply another factory flywheel. Anytime these parts are changed the engine needs to be balanced.

In other words, yes it's well balance to "factory specs" however those vary somewhat form engine to engine.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

Let me pipe here on this one. Performatek supplies EXCELLANT products. Andy has his challanges from his suppliers, But let me be EMPHATIC, he stands behind his product. This flywheel is balanced, but just like changing any other part in conjunction with others, ya gotta balance them together. Andy's no different IMHO as Greg G. These guys are par excellance IMHO for us..... Greg's products are the best for what they represent. I've read criticisism on his headlite conversion, costs and you've got to understand the R & D involved and the parts involved. It's definitely worth the T & M involved...... Don't bother lecturing me as I'm an engineer by education....

Greg, you're a stand up guy in my book!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi