Siddy
Silver
Silver

1.8L Alfetta Convertion possibilities

Post by Siddy »

Hi,
Just got a 1.8L Alfetta, would have preferred a GTV6 but couldnt find one.

Can anyone tell me of the transaxle from a Alfa 75 or a GTV6 will bolt into a 1.8L Alfetta (i assume they are the same as GTV).

Also, does the 2.5V6 and 3.0V6 both bolt to my car, with the correct engine mounts?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Siddy

Generally the answer is yes although you will need to resuse the axle shaft spacers or get the later and longer shafts instead. The gearbox output shafts also have different coupling bolt sizes that vary from 8 to 10mm depending on what the donor car is. The higher capcity engined cars usually have the larger bolts and thicker drive shafts.

Your Alfetta currenlty has a mechanical speedo and driver. In the later boxes, these are all electronic and require some tricky stuff to make them work but is is all achievable.

The V6 engines will bolt into your car but you need larger engine mounts which are available as a spare part and the bonnet will need some sculpturing to cater for the intake plenum unless you make a hand made plenum or modify a plenum from a 164 to suit.

Hope thats enough info to get you started?

Cheers, MD
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

not sure about the milano's but a gtv6 transaxle thru 83 still uses the mechanical shaft inside the transaxle..but has an electronic pickup inserted inplace of the cable....in fact the gtv6 pickup has a 1inch piece of cable driven the same way your cable speedo is driven
Siddy
Silver
Silver

Post by Siddy »

Thanks for the replies.
It sounds like good news, my Alfetta 1.8 is not the black sheep, i can update it :)
Luck for me, in Australia, Alfa 75's are cheap as chips, V6 or not.

Is there a web site or thread that details pulling these alfa's apart?
People swapping transaxles etc?