jasonkaler
Silver
Silver

Propshaft problems

Post by jasonkaler »

Hi,

I've get a gtv6 (South African, 1986) that's been giving me lots of problems with the prop.

I've had to replace the center coupling twice in the last 6 months.
I think all the problems started because I gave someone a tow and they slammed on anchors a couple of times, which I think caused some damage.

My feeling is that the prop is wabbling because the mountings (either engine or gearbox) have been damaged or yanked too hard.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what could be causing the prop to be hitting the chassis?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Propshaft problems

Post by kevin »

Start off by putting the car on the lift and doing thorough check of all your mountings. Read the post on this topic on the propshaft for trouble shooting and greg gordons. Not sure of that link. This will provide you with more than enough info to troubleshoot. Where did you buy a centre coupling as there are no new one available in SA. Maybe you got the wrong part.
jasonkaler
Silver
Silver

Post by jasonkaler »

Thank you for your response.

The mechanic I took it to eventually found one. Perhaps it wasn't the correct one.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a new one now, and possibly a couple of mountings.
What is the best way for me to get these parts? Should I joing the Alfa club?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

jason, read all these topics a few times to understand the problems. There are a few good alfa mechanics left in gauteng. Get your parts from AK components as mentioned by allesandro(topic below). Try get a workshop manual. This forum has helped me build a succesfull racecar so do your homework by reading up especially Greg Gordons topic on propshafts.
jasonkaler
Silver
Silver

Post by jasonkaler »

Thanks for your help.

That should get me going in the right direction.