grega
Gold
Gold

tranny replacement

Post by grega »

hey guys.

so i have a rebuilt transmission from a parts car that hasn't been started for 6 years and the last time it was on the road was in 96.
The previous owner tells me the syncros were replaced and it has a new clutch. before he stopped driving it.

Should i just pop in the new tranny? or should i open it up?
is there anyway to check if it's ok?
What do you guys think?

Greg 83 gtv6
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: tranny replacement

Post by MD »

Not an easy answer. You would think that gear sets covered in oil would be safe from corrosion but this is not always the case. Also the flywheel and pressure plate may have some corrosion on their surfaces which can bind up the driven plate and result in no clutch. So as minimum, I would at least pull this section apart and check for corrosion.

As for the gearbox I would opt for a suck it and see approach.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

This will be the first time i'll open up an alfa tranny.

so basically i should check the clutch pressure plate setup and make sure it's not rusty. checkt he flywheel too.

When you say suck it and see....does that mean install it and hope for the best?

i know that the driveshaft is balanced on these cars because it spins so fast. do i need to worry about anything when putting in a different tranny with regards to balance?

Greg A
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Exactly what I mean.
Unless you know how to strip it down and replace parts and/or have the tools to do the job, what is the point ? If you are posting this topic, you already know the answer to that one.

Just put fresh oil in it and install it and see how it goes.

The prop shaft is balanced on its own and so is the clutch flywheel so they should work normally when replaced provided you haven't pulled the shaft apart and got it out of phase.

As for the clutch flywheel, while its apart, you could get it lightened as much as possible and then rebalanced before installation. For good measure, you could also replace the input shaft bearings if they were not done as part of the original restoration.Time to check the throw out bearing as well...
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Sounds like a plan.

thanks for the tips. i'll keep you guys posted. hopefully it goes well.

Greg A